Carter P4070 Electric fuel pump failures.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And last night, I was out in my IH rollback with a 466, it was on its second Carter P4070 in 1300hrs, and as I was pulling a hill with plenty of traffic behind me.....I suddenly without warning lost all fuel pressure. ….the damn pump quit. Probably 400hrs on it. It has a inline filter ahead of the pump which is always kept clean, its sitting in a low heat, low vibration area, this one is pulling a little further then the ones do where I mount them on idi trucks but still, nothing that should kill it so soon.

Sure I had another pump on the shelf and was able to change it out in about 15min but that's besides the point.

We are living in such dire times when it comes to quality; I find it down right scary. So I think this is 4070 failure #6 that I have had, or seen in the past couple years. Funny how I instantly looked at the fuel pressure gauge as soon as I felt something was up, almost as if I expect a failed pump. Never was that the case with them in the past....I have some old ones still in service with 5000hrs + on them

I have a pile of new in the box, 4070's on the shelf. and todays project is to put one, ready to go; under the seat in all my trucks that are running them. Because I just can't trust them and switching all trucks over to another style of fuel pump is something that I will have to do over time.....can't do em all overnight. But I will be looking for another brand and style of pump. Not for hi performance or anything, simply reliability...… hopefully there is something out there

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is anyone running any of the other models of Carter electric fuel pumps? If so, what kind of results have you been having?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't run the Carter, but I was running the Delphi version of the same pump. Direct fit match. I installed it a few months before the 2018 rally, ran fine for a while. Coming back from the rally in the hills of PA I had the filter light come on all the time. Ran good just never pushed enough pressure for WOT on the hills (on a NA). I'll probably wire it up on my parts washer to filter the fluid but it won't be going back on the truck. Put the old mechanical pump back on and haven't had any issues yet.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Sending mental image to corporate chimerica)

-Lame This is unacceptable behavior, no effing way you cannot spec a china part to hit a durability price point to give SOME value!:backoff

I'm fixing to reinstall my oe ford pump and shelve the brand new holley red, then put the faucet on the parts washer:Whatever:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evidently, if you need to run an electric pump, install two of them and an on-off-on switch or something.

Meanwhile, my $30 mechanical pump just keeps on chooching!

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reputation a company spent decades building destroyed by some executive minion with a sharp pencil and dull brain...

I'm running a 6 year old P4070 so far no problems...but after what I am seeing here, I know I really need to be planning for alternatives. I am considering a little gear pump, but I need to build a controller for it.

I note these seem to be quite a common pump... I've seen the same pump with lots of different labels...

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32856804495.html

By "controller", I mean something that looks at output pressure and throttles battery power to maintain setpoint. Pulse width modulator type thingies. Cause this thing is apt to output way more pressure than I want.

Last edited:

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using this Holley blue pump for a few weeks now and couldn’t be more impressed. My buddy has also been running one (unregulated) and he likes it. I keep telling him to put a regulator on but he won’t listen haha. Not sure if it would hurt anything to not run one but I did and set it to 9 psi. I would recommend this setup for anyone
You must be registered for see images attach

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reputation a company spent decades building destroyed by some executive minion with a sharp pencil and dull brain...

I'm running a 6 year old P4070 so far no problems...but after what I am seeing here, I know I really need to be planning for alternatives. I am considering a little gear pump, but I need to build a controller for it.

I note these seem to be quite a common pump... I've seen the same pump with lots of different labels...

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32856804495.html

By "controller", I mean something that looks at output pressure and throttles battery power to maintain setpoint. Pulse width modulator type thingies. Cause this thing is apt to output way more pressure than I want.

That sounds promising. Not sure of the reliability of the china pump, but with a full output of 3.7 gpm I think should be plenty.

Have a look here for a pwm fuel pump controller. https://www.vaporworx.com/documentation/vaporworx-pwm-fuel-controllers/

They're pretty expensive though.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Just called up Carter and ******* about their pumps failing so bad. The tech support person I spoke with, mentioned that 2 years ago all Carter rotary vane pumps have been manufactured in China. He said that they have switched back to the US (As many companies seen to be doing, thanks Trump!) BUT....no products have hit the shelves yet, anywhere. So as of right now....there is no made in the US option for anything Carter rotary vane.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called up Carter and ******* about their pumps failing so bad. The tech support person I spoke with, mentioned that 2 years ago all Carter rotary vane pumps have been manufactured in China. He said that they have switched back to the US (As many companies seen to be doing, thanks Trump!) BUT....no products have hit the shelves yet, anywhere. So as of right now....there is no made in the US option for anything Carter rotary vane.

Right on! That sounds promising but we’ll have to see.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
After a couple decades of reliable use, I am officially done with P4070's. I don't think I can regain trust even once the new US built ones become available.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes corporate chimerica should have repercussions on a monetary level!