cardana24's air intake thread

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 factory turbo f250. I have wanted to do an intake modification, and I know you guys really like the hypermax cowl induction system. I wanted something that style but that looked a little beefier, I don't really like the look (yes I know it works fine) of the black accordian hose. Before I started any of the install I made sure my cowl area had good drainage, I sprayed the hose in it for several minutes.

So I picked up one of these from Lowes....
You must be registered for see images attach

I cut the tabs off the top of the fitting. Then I needed to make a hole in my firewall to put this thing. The biggest hole saw I had was 3.5" so I drilled that out then did the rest with tin snips, and this is what I came up with...

Then I trimmed down the Lowes fitting so that I could push it against the firewall. Once I did this I put a few self drilling screws around the collar to hold it down.

I bought a 4" aluminum 90degree elbow from ATP turbo (online), and my dad gave me a few 4" silicone couplings that I had used in making him an intake set up on his SBC. I had to cut the 90 a few times to make it a little shorter, but this is what I ended up coming up with. The hood lining pushes on it when the hood is shut, but other than that everything functions as it should. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Last edited:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the installed pictures.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I like the cowl induction setup and using some parts already laying around is icing on the cake, nice. Has anybody done 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, or fuel mileage comparo's to see if this really does make a difference?

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! Looks like it probably flows better than the Hypermax. I have the Hypermax setup. I did not do any before and after comparisons as far as fuel milage ect. I can say it dropped my egt's 150 degrees while towing so I'm sure that equates to some sort of power gain given the denser air.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice finished look. Did you make the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump or buy that from a member here....

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the cowl induction setup and using some parts already laying around is icing on the cake, nice. Has anybody done 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, or fuel mileage comparo's to see if this really does make a difference?

I know some members have posted data on the gains (intake air temp). Just search hypermax cowl induction.

how's the intake noise? nice project tho;Sweet

I defiantly has more of a growl, it is not super loud though. I have only driven it about 5 miles.

Nice work! Looks like it probably flows better than the Hypermax. I have the Hypermax setup. I did not do any before and after comparisons as far as fuel milage ect. I can say it dropped my egt's 150 degrees while towing so I'm sure that equates to some sort of power gain given the denser air.

I don't have an egt gauge installed yet so I really don't know. I have one on one of my cars, and I just took the engine out, so am going to take it out of the exhaust in the next few days, so hopefully I will get it installed soon.

Nice finished look. Did you make the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump or buy that from a member here....

Mel made it for me. I just installed it Thursday evening.

how much did that set up cost is it cheaper than the hypermax kit

Ummmmm....I think the hypermax kit is around $100 if I remember. I would say it pretty close to the same cost. 4" stuff is expensive. The 4" mandrel bent aluminum elbow was around $50, I don't remember the exact price. But 4" couplings are not cheap either. I think a hypermax set up would be easier to install too....that's just not what I wanted. If anyone else wants to do this I would recomend getting one coupling as a 45, or else one of those ones that has a flexible bump in the center. Since the angle from the air box to the fire wall is more than 90 degrees you kinda have to force things.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Looks nice, but it will wear out and break something, so keep an eye on it. The engine is mounted in rubber and moves quite a lot compared to the body, I may be wrong with my prediction if those silicone joints flex enough but all the ones I've messed with (mostly on airplanes) were too stiff for that application.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but..... Wouldn't it try to suck water on a rainy day?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
No, the cowl has two drains, and the air box has one. But that is not a stupid question, it's asked quite commonly.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" hump hose would alleviate the problem some, if he left a decent gap the regular hose will give it some dampening too

Like I said earlier if the regular silicone couplings were not free to me I would use either a hump transition or a 45 to relieve some of the stress/pressure. But if you have ever priced 4" stuff I am thinking the hump connectors are between 20-30 each.