Can my idi safely run with a glow plug heating element in the precup?

Cheesy

Reaction score
Can I run my 7.3 idi with a glow plug heating element inside the precup?

I bought this 7.3 idi a while back and it had tons of problems. The last big one I’m getting around to is fixing the glow plug system and the man who owned it before me snapped off a glow plug on cylinder 3 so I swapped out the other seven and figured I’d do it right and try and get it out of the head. I was able to get all of the glow plug threads and body out of the hole but the metal heating element is still in the bottom. I can grab onto it through the injector hole but it’s bent in a U shape from what I can gather. Long story short I have a heating element in the precup that I can’t get out but I can put new glow plug and injector in. If I run it will it fall into the cylinder and tear it up or do I just need to pull the motor now and get over with. Also I know I could just pull the head but my oil pan gasket leaks a little and I figured it’s way easier to pull the motor to get the head off and I could kill two birds with one stone. I’m trying everything I can to not pull the motor though

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here will recommend running it with the tip loose in there. Head needs to come off. How is up to you.