can i add a third or even forth battery ?

triverrat

Reaction score
I have a f 350 super duty 4x4 1987 will adding another battery or 2 increase my cold cranking power? and i use extra lights on the back alot to see while loading and unloading! ive got a switch that has three settings on it.battery A,B and both , i was going to use that to run my lights and to back up my original batterys for cold starts or dead battery.is there any spiecal way that they need to be wired or is this too much for my altinator?sugestions and advise welcome ,thanks

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can start a dead cold idi engine with one good battery if you also have good cables and starter.
But yeah, put 4 on there lol.
Sounds like your truck has other problems with it.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check ALL of your cables, both ground and positive. Make sure they ALL are clean with NO CORROSION. Clean all posts and joints. There are grounds running form the engine to the chassis. You will be amazed how well they work after the cleaning.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a f 350 super duty 4x4 1987 will adding another battery or 2 increase my cold cranking power? and i use extra lights on the back alot to see while loading and unloading! ive got a switch that has three settings on it.battery A,B and both , i was going to use that to run my lights and to back up my original batterys for cold starts or dead battery.is there any spiecal way that they need to be wired or is this too much for my altinator?sugestions and advise welcome ,thanks
I do night work also. best thing I did to reduce the battery demand was switch over to LED lighting. check Amazon and fleabay for good ideas.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I used to run 3 batts in my E350 work van.

Two for cranking... custom mounted and cabled from boxes I mounted inside. 1 'house' gel battery I used my inverter with. Tied in with an ACR (auto charging relay).

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"cold" is relative.

If you have a "well maintained" engine with a good starting system & glowplugs, these engines will easily start at 0 F. If you have a ****** starter, 4 glowplugs burnt out and a crappy IP that is original, then yes you will need 4 batteries to get that heap going lol.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
"cold" is relative.

If you have a "well maintained" engine with a good starting system & glowplugs, these engines will easily start at 0 F.

0° is NOT "cold", it's chilly

At 0°F I will go out to start my truck in a t-shirt and gym shorts LOL

At -10°F it's "a little nippy"

Cold begins when the temps drop below -20°F LOL

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you have a "well maintained" engine with a good starting system & glowplugs, these engines will easily start at 0 F. If you have a ****** starter, 4 glowplugs burnt out and a crappy IP that is original, then yes you will need 4 batteries to get that heap going lol.

OP never complained about any starting issues, just extra for some work lighting and "backup" for cold starting.
I do agree, with everything in shape these will start fairly easily at 0.

Black dawg

Reaction score

IF all your batteries are in shape, connections and cables, probably the best thing you can do is to put a 3g alternator on it, as the original puts out very little idling.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My van spends a lot of time running accessories without the engine running. So I added four batteries with a 200A relay in between. The two original batteries run only the engine. Accessories, including head lights run off the secondary batteries. The secondary batteries can be run dead and there are still two full batteries to start the engine. A single 3G alternator charges all six.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since you mentioned engine off and acc all on led lighting wouldn't be a bad start since they draw much less power, extra battery never hurt anything to just run acc off of but of course normal charging system maintaince is always a must, cleaning terminals, good batteries alternator and so forth

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88