Can A CAT 3208 be Made to Rock?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
3208 in my motorhome runs great a little over 10 miles per gallon on 80% waste dino!

I was hoping somebody would chime in and say something contrary. Alright unclewilson, the floor's yours.

How did you do it? And on 80% waste dino? Motor must not turn too fast on the highway. And is it a turbo or NA style motor?

unclewilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well cap u will have to visit 931 703 1933 actually fuel mileage seems a little higher ..150 gallons took me to parris island sc then taledega average over 10 have my 91 ford 350 only getting 13 ....runnning all dino trans hyd motor! and cap bring the morgan i have some blackberry wine hahaah

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
well cap u will have to visit 931 703 1933 actually fuel mileage seems a little higher ..150 gallons took me to parris island sc then taledega average over 10 have my 91 ford 350 only getting 13 ....runnning all dino trans hyd motor! and cap bring the morgan i have some blackberry wine hahaah

So, black diesel (engine oil, trans fluid, used hydraulic oil), running 80%, average higher than 10 mpg at 85 mph. That's not a bad deal. Running for free and at high speed.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I dont think they're horrible. Not what I'd choose for a pickup swap, but It's not me swapping. They can be a feisty little kitty when done right. If you plan on getting one, find some aftermarket rod bolts. Sometimes the rod itself lets go, as does head gaskets. The pump is quite simple, and can get some nice flow numbers if your injection shop is willing. They idle pretty quiet for as big as they are. They can rev safely to 3200rpm. Turbo is a must have! You can do without one, but you wont make much over 220hp. I know a guy that can give you all kinds of Cat performance info.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I drove a blue bird with a non turbo 3208. It burnt a TON of oil and left a blue smoke trail anywhere I went. But it did run well, slow, steady but thats fine by me. It had an allison trans behind it.

silvereels

Reaction score
G'day, I'm a commercial southern rock lobster fisherman working out of Victoria, Australia and interested in any improvements in efficiency and power I can get in my 3208. Mine is a turbo charged, 300 hp, and it is in my 34', 7 tonne fibreglass lobster boat. The boat was built in 1983 and, from what I know, fitted with this motor. It has been in continuous commercial use since in both WA and Vic, since launched. I get an average of 12 litres an hour in my 6 hour day, cruising at 11-12 knts (2000 rpm, running at 90 degrees C) and steaming at 15-16 knts (2400 rpm running at 98 degrees C). I've found the 3208 pretty good both on power, fuel consumption and reliability. I'm interested in any thoughts of how I can improve on this - twin turbo?; supercharger? or combination of both?

Last edited:

johnb11

Reaction score
Ok, not sure if anyone has touched upon some of the nuances of this engine... If so, please forgive my ignorance.... Here is a little info on the Cat 3208's.

• They put these engines in Boats, and medium duty trucks, Buses as well as generators, and equipment as you probably already know.
  • The big thing about these engines is that they are considered a disposable diesel engine. Meaning no sleaves, just a block,,,, so when rebuild time comes around you have to pull the motor, strip it down to the block, rebore the block, get resized pistons etc... just like rebuilding a gas engine. Marine guys hate this motor,,, and I mean hate it.... as you might understand they have to pull these engines out of their billion dollar yatchets real bad deal... I live in Seattle, work on heavy marine stuff as well as building, fabbing, etc... cars, trucks, and the like. Most of the owners dislike these for this reason as its disposable engine or considered as such.

• Fun part, these are great engines to hop up, they ranged from 180hp to 450hp with simply cranking the fuel up, and bigger injectors, same turbo, same injector pump. Cheap to crank the power up. Check out the CAT Marine Specs and follow along, I think you can pull this info online from CAT Website.
  • I buy old school buses with these in them and use them for 1976 Ford Pickup Truck Builds.... I have done two so far... WOW, great for towing, and pulling wheelies. Tight fit but fits perfectly... surprisingly so. Awesome Power.

Just be aware these are considered a disposable engine,,, when time for rebuild you will have to pull and strip down to the block, Bore and Hone block and size for next sized up Pistons.... I think you can convert to typical sleeve rebuild kits like regular industrial diesel engines. This is where the hate comes in due to this.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, not sure if anyone has touched upon some of the nuances of this engine... If so, please forgive my ignorance.... Here is a little info on the Cat 3208's.

• They put these engines in Boats, and medium duty trucks, Buses as well as generators, and equipment as you probably already know.

• The big thing about these engines is that they are considered a disposable diesel engine. Meaning no sleaves, just a block,,,, so when rebuild time comes around you have to pull the motor, strip it down to the block, rebore the block, get resized pistons etc... just like rebuilding a gas engine. Marine guys hate this motor,,, and I mean hate it.... as you might understand they have to pull these engines out of their billion dollar yatchets real bad deal... I live in Seattle, work on heavy marine stuff as well as building, fabbing, etc... cars, trucks, and the like. Most of the owners dislike these for this reason as its disposable engine or considered as such.

• Fun part, these are great engines to hop up, they ranged from 180hp to 450hp with simply cranking the fuel up, and bigger injectors, same turbo, same injector pump. Cheap to crank the power up. Check out the CAT Marine Specs and follow along, I think you can pull this info online from CAT Website.

• I buy old school buses with these in them and use them for 1976 Ford Pickup Truck Builds.... I have done two so far... WOW, great for towing, and pulling wheelies. Tight fit but fits perfectly... surprisingly so. Awesome Power.

Just be aware these are considered a disposable engine,,, when time for rebuild you will have to pull and strip down to the block, Bore and Hone block and size for next sized up Pistons.... I think you can convert to typical sleeve rebuild kits like regular industrial diesel engines. This is where the hate comes in due to this.
welcome to the site!
if you have any pics of the 3208 installed in a F-series truck......PLEASE POST THEM UP!
thanks! :D

johnb11

Reaction score
welcome to the site!
if you have any pics of the 3208 installed in a F-series truck......PLEASE POST THEM UP!
thanks! :D

I took pictures of my 1976 F250 with my digital camera about 6 years back, I will do my best to locate them and post. 3208 is not too much bigger than a 7.3 PS. I would make the assumption that they would be very similar as far as fab work and installation.