Camshaft Assembly ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a torque cam on its way and had a quick question on assembly. I took the original cam into a machine shop where they removed gear, fuel pump lobe, spacer & thrust plate before sending core to Russ. I know the correct order in which the parts go back onto camshaft, but is there any specs that I need to follow when pressing parts on new cam?? Any help would be great! Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a torque cam on its way and had a quick question on assembly. I took the original cam into a machine shop where they removed gear, fuel pump lobe, spacer & thrust plate before sending core to Russ. I know the correct order in which the parts go back onto camshaft, but is there any specs that I need to follow when pressing parts on new cam?? Any help would be great! Thanks
other than the sequence of parts being critical, you're all good.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
other than the sequence of parts being critical, you're all good.

does the collar thats before the thrust plate need any special attention?
as long as the thrust plate can spin freely without too much slop?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the collar thats before the thrust plate need any special attention?
as long as the thrust plate can spin freely without too much slop?
as long as it goes back together the same way it came apart, you're all good. NOW IF unusual wear is present from the disassembly process, deeper investigation is required for the cause.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found some thrust information. The camshaft thrust flange thickness is 0.4305 to 0.4355
The cam end play is 0.002 to 0.009. The timing gear backlash is 0.0015 to 0.013.
The assembly is this. First on the cam is the thrust flange. Thats the piece with the 2 holes in it and this secures the cam in the block. Then the thrust flange spacer. Then the fuel pump eccentric. Then the gear. Then the washer and finally the screw. BTW the torque on that screw in the end of the cam is very low. Its 15 ft lbs. and its an allen wrench type fit. Please heat up the press fit pieces so they fit easier on the cam but don't heat more than 250 degrees. At 250 degrees you will have grown things enough for an easy press fit. Also use a press and dot a hammer.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUESTION:
im guessing that the cams are not balanced from the manufacturer.

that fuel pump eccentric will throw the balance into a 6th dimension!

can the fuel pump eccentric be deleted?
of course a mechanical pump will no longer work,
but im curious if it can be deleted.

good call on the heating of the items...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lift pump eccentric is part of the stack so it must be included. It can be ground so its not an elliptic too. The cam is not balanced far as I know and remember its turning half the crank speed. The balance issue found with the older cam gears as not much but. During idle you can feel a vibration that is rhythmic. It comes and goes about every 5 seconds and felt in the steering wheel mostly.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The upgraded cam gear has a cast lug on the backside to balance the eccentric fuel pump lobe. That is why the cam gear was upgraded, to improve balance.