Calling all southern OBS owners

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I live in south Louisiana and would love to hear y’alls input on reputable tranny shops that a I could use to rebuild my zf5. I am having the grinding in 2nd and 3rd issue and just want it fixed. I am new-ish to the area and just thought that surely there would be someone down here that may know a good place.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the gear oil? I was told not to do that. Any thought on this??

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the gear oil? I was told not to do that. Any thought on this??

Yes it's gear oil, but the viscosity isn't much thicker than ATF.

I've had penzoil in my ZF6 (which has a pump unlike your ZF5) and it shifts flawlessly, whether it's -5F or 100F, 255k miles on the transmission.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just an aside while we’re on the topic of Trannys and I happen to be working on my zf. I did the heir joint mod and the arm was stripped so I am replacing it. The pushrod is supposed to lock into the master cylinder but now it won’t. It got pulled out somehow. (It’s only 2 weeks old)
Before I set the splines into the new arm I want to make sure it’s ok for the pushrod not to lock in.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't "lock in" either...as in I can pull the rod out of the master cylinder if it's disconnected from the clutch pedal.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got a new master under warranty. It installed rather easily and with the new swing arm I haven’t had any problems in over a week. Before the swing arm would slip in a few days and cause hard shifting

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has struck again!!!
Was getting hard shifting them no shifting and found another issue with my clutch. Thought my slave had popped again but turns out it’s the pedal box.
The swing arm looked like it slipped again. Well when I reset the swing arm the swing arm(including the splined part of the shaft) twisted off!!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would Castrol syncroMesh be the same fluid for the zf5! You said pensoil but all I can find is castrol snycromesh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online