Cab Swap - Feasible - Has any one done it?

harrietnorth

Reaction score
So the Cab on my 87 IDI is shot. Corners, rockers, seatbelt mounts gonzo. Mechanically well maintained and I'd take her on a long haul with zero concerns. So, Cab swap. But if I'm going to do it, I want to do something fun and unique.

I found a brilliant Ford N750 donor. I know that with the all the time and money in the world, one can make anything fit. What I'd like to know, has anyone seen or attempted something like this? Scouring the googler turns up mostly 'Ford N-Series - Ford's forgotten trucks'. Am I biting off something that will be death by a 1000 cuts?

Its obviously a big boy frame that the cab is mounted to, and body mounts will need to move, steering sector lining up will be tricky. Cable shift for the C6 on the 87.

You must be registered for see images attach

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm adventuresome, but that might be a chore. I picture some modification to the fenders and step to reduce the height?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s gonna be tight getting the engine back far enough, likely need to cut the firewall out or move the core support forward. A dentside ford fits beautifully.

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Looking at the pic you posted I think the biggest issue will be the firewall to front axle distance. I think the pickup has more distance than that medium duty truck. Stretching fenders or stretching the front of a pickup box might be the answer. Park the two side by side and start measuring and eyeballing...

I say go for it and post pics...so I know what I'd be getting into if I want to do that in the future.

Nick

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be easier to swap your drive train into the other truck?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not advise it on your 87 frame.
that's a lot of work.
not to mention you will have to redo the engine mounts to get the engine back far enough.
steering isn't an issue, 3 u joints and a oversized heim will do good, but im with catbird7
I would use the engine and trans in your new truck

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 has a 97 crew cab and a 88 bed so it can be done I didn't do it and its a wiring nightmare lol

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My 86 has a 97 crew cab and a 88 bed so it can be done I didn't do it and its a wiring nightmare lol

Not trying to be a jerk, but we're not talking about a pickup body here. It's a medium duty body. This one was built differently than a pick up.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerk, but we're not talking about a pickup body here. It's a medium duty body. This one was built differently than a pick up.
Sorry new to this taptalk on the phone and forums in general, thought this was posted in the 6.9idi and 7.3idi forum didn't realize you where talking about something big didn't even realized they where used in those

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sorry new to this taptalk on the phone and forums in general, thought this was posted in the 6.9idi and 7.3idi forum didn't realize you where talking about something big didn't even realized they where used in those

It is in the 6.9/7.3 part. The OP was wondering if a different body would fit on his pickup frame. don't worry about the misunderstanding. I was trying to help you see what is being talked about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx