Cab electrical issues stranding my truck

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 94 F250 idi. I did a zf5 swap in over winter and when I tried to fire it up after swapping the trans, I cooked some electrical wires, roasted a solenoid, popped some fuses for the GP charging system. I found that the large (10 gauge?) red/green stripe wire that connects from the GP relay power input post all the way through the cab to the ignition switch had continuity to ground.

I traced the wire through it's plugs until I got into the cab and determined that it was grounding out somewhere up above the pedal assembly inside the dash...somewhere, I couldn't access the 2 ft of wire where it seemed to be grounding. I cut the wire after it entered the cab and just before the ignition switch and ran a new wire outside of the pedal assy so that I could start the truck. Problem now is, my alternator is not charging and none of my gauges work except the speedo.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the big B+ wire and connect it from the B+ on the rear of the alternator and go directly to the + Battery post. See if it charges that way.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Take the big B+ wire and connect it from the B+ on the rear of the alternator and go directly to the + Battery post. See if it charges that way.

Is that the wire that is supposed to trigger the alternator?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That red/green wire also feeds the instrument cluster which feeds the battery light that turns on your alt, pull your cluster and hook that wire up also and you should be good to go.

ISPKI

Reaction score
That red/green wire also feeds the instrument cluster which feeds the battery light that turns on your alt, pull your cluster and hook that wire up also and you should be good to go.

Yeah i was just looking up how to pull the cluster out, looks very easy. I cant wait to see what happened to that red/green wire to cause it to ground into the cab.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well I discovered a destroyed headlight switch plug and spliced the red/grn wire that was feeding into the gauge cluster onto my switched power supply wire. Also found a red/yw stripe wire that needed to receive switched power, now I have almost all of my gauges back. Still dont have tach and fuel gauge, but voltage at my bats while the truck is running is at 14.7v, glad i avoided a new alternator install.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Really lucky you didn't burn your truck to the ground..... Thanks Ford for the high quality wiring!!!!

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah too bad, I could have collected insurance on it... maybe.

Now i just need to get my tach and fuel gauge to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online