C6 to E4OD with a doner truck.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I am considering going to an E4OD, and have an opportunity to purchase a 94 F250 Ex Cab 4x4 Turbo IDI with a rebuilt trans and a bad motor.

So If I have the whole doner truck for the trans swap, is there anything else that I would need? Is it computer controlled? would I need to buy an aftermarket $700.00 trans controller or can I use the computer from the doner truck? Would it be a basic Bolt In as far as size is concerened between the motor and T-Case since is the same BW T-case?

I am happy with the C6 GV setuup but it would be real nice to have one more overdrive gear, and a lock up TC. It would put my 70 MPH cruising RPM's down to about 1750, and that is with the 4:10's

If I do this I will be parting out the rest of the truck. Sounds like the truck itself has a cracked #7 piston, but new injector pump, completely rebuilt front end, new 10 Ply tires, new radiator, along with other stuff that I cant reember.

Let me know what you think cause I would need to move on it in the next day or so,
Thanks!;Sweet

Attachments

• 94 f250 trans.jpg
    94 f250 trans.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 18

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worry would be that Big Ed would spend most of his time parked with that E4DOA under it unless you want to spend the money to have the transmission built. These things seem to barely be able to survive a NA IDI...will it survive an IC cummins? I think most of the problem is the trans can't communicate effectively with the motor, I'm not sure if that will go better or worse with a Cummins.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
For ease of installation and setup, I would consider the Baumann TCS. Call them and see what they say about using it with the Cummins and E4OD. The Stock controller needs all the sensors and tach to work halfway well and the Baumann only needs the TPS and speed sensor. Plus you get 2 programs and "paddle shift" capability with the Ford steering wheel. And then have the tranny built to handle the Cummins.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
darrin-
your problem is not in the trans, it's in the rear end gearing. Fords run happy at 410 for towing, dodges like 3.42 with the OD trans, 3.08 with the 3spd auto. you need to re-ratio the front and rear gears to make the whole deal happy again.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
darrin-
your problem is not in the trans, it's in the rear end gearing. Fords run happy at 410 for towing, dodges like 3.42 with the OD trans, 3.08 with the 3spd auto. you need to re-ratio the front and rear gears to make the whole deal happy again.

darrin i tend to agree with towcat. unless you can't afford to lose any off the line grunt you might want to swap to 3.55s. i like mine even though i may be in the minority. once i get turbo'ed i plan on converting the USG to an OD and have even better freeway gear with the 3.55s. to me, off the line is secondary to cruising speed.

i cant see wanting to ditch a bulletfroof C6 with aux OD for anything but a manual trans. i love my C6, but again i know i'm in the minority.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
i agree:eek: with the can't do it the easy routecookoo
I'm looking my my doner dodge and was quite surprised to see 3.08's for gearing. Having driven the bigger stuff, I am fully aware of the Cummins "sweet spot" at 1700-2200. It's very condensed compared to the IH. Dodge has put alot of thought into the gearing when they put these trucks together, so I figure I will save myself some R&D time on my own truck by using what they came up with as a baseline. I agree, if I am to own a slushbox, it's going to be a C-6 with a OD. I'll take the small penalty with the lack of lockup, but the headaches and the worry that I might be stranded will easily outweigh the small fuel cost.
darrin-
that would make a good parts truck;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aww, don't listen to them Darrin!

Keep the 4.10s, and stuff the E4OD in there with the GV and all.

I have 3.08s and a built up E4OD and even after all my screw ups putting it together, I never looked back.

If I'm towing, I lock the OD out and have the perfect drive RPM on the freeway with no slip. If I'm empty or towing light, I let it pop into OD and the engine noise pretty much stops, drowned out by the wind. Heres a pic of me letting the truck wind out a little. I've taken it as far as 100 MPH with ease (thats where the needle bumps against the trip meter reset button).

It also means that I have much more flexibility in the RPM I want to cruise at for any given speed. At 55 MPH I am around 1600 RPM in 3rd gear, but I can keep that RPM higher up at 70 MPH if I want or let the RPM go higher to get more power when I need it (hills or towing). The right gear for the right situating.;Sweet

The E4OD can be made just as strong as the C6 can and the upgrade parts have come down in price over the years.

Just don't use the OEM computer system, too many things to go wrong......

Attachments

• 02-04-081703.jpg
    02-04-081703.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 31

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You nay sayers really need to ride a truck with a BTS E4OD.... Its shut up and hang on when it locks up each gear.... Then add the Gear Vendors and you have 8 forward gears and in double over drive the ratio is.....1.97...:eek::D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
You nay sayers really need to ride a truck with a BTS E4OD.... Its shut up and hang on when it locks up each gear.... Then add the Gear Vendors and you have 8 forward gears and in double over drive the ratio is.....1.97...:eek::D

i hear the BTS is good... inthat case darrin maybe you should just buy the bts trans and the aftermarket controller and be done with it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow, mine is only 2.18 locked in top gearcookoo. Really nice for zipping along empty on the freeway. I cruised close 85 MPH all the way home (100 miles) on friday Raining most of the time without breaking a sweat. EGTs between 700 and 800.

I can also say that VBX makes a great reconditioned valve body that worked beautifully since I put it in. Nice crisp shifting without actually slaming into each gear at light throttle.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with an E4OD - heck that was the only thing that survived me on a regular basis in the Enterprise. I just kept the fluid cool, clean and changed often - I tend to think this is what saved it with me.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Lots of good advice,... What to do,.... :dunno

My worry would be that Big Ed would spend most of his time parked with that E4DOA under it unless you want to spend the money to have the transmission built.

Aparently the rebult trans has been "built" with bigger clutches, some sort of triple disk torque converter, and a good shift kit. If it was just stock I would not consider it.

towcat darrin-

I actually have a complete set of 3:55's front and rear sitting in the shop that I can get installed anytime, and am still considering it. But according to the gear ratio calcualtors, it will only give me about a 350 to 400 RPM drop at 70 MPH while the E4OD will get me about 700 to 800 RPM Drop with a TC Lock up.

Calvin, Calvin, Calvin, when has Darrin EVER gone the easy route?

What fun would that be,...? LOL

i cant see wanting to ditch a bulletfroof C6 with aux OD for anything but a manual trans. i love my C6, but again i know i'm in the minority.

I love the C6 Myself, so I am with you! I do know that Whatever it is it will be an auto not a stick, Even though I shift it manually, Its an auto stick :D

i hear the BTS is good... in that case darrin maybe you should just buy the bts trans and the aftermarket controller and be done with it

Cause it would run me about $4K, OR,..I could buy the Doner truck for about $2500.00, pull the trans and part out the rest of the truck to pay for the tranny swap,... Sound fimiliar,..? This is really the only way I would consider the E4OD swap.

Gotta go for now, but I will probably just pass on the truck, and sitck with the C6. I really dont want another major project on the truck, and I am happy with the C6. Ill probablly install the 3:55 rear end this Winter for a while and see how that goes. but I still would like the TC lockup,..

Thanks again for all of the input! :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx