C6 to E4OD with a doner truck.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM made TH350 transmissions with a lockup converter, I think there were some TH400s like that too - did Ford never attempt a lockup converter in the C6?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
GM made TH350 transmissions with a lockup converter, I think there were some TH400s like that too - did Ford never attempt a lockup converter in the C6?

Unforchantly there were no TH 400s with a lock up :(

but some early models had an switch pitch tourqu converter :D

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did make the C5, which is a lockup version of the C4 for a little while in the 80s, but the C6 remained largely unchanged over its service life. A true old school slushbox to the bitter end.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unforchantly there were no TH 400s with a lock up :(

but some early models had an switch pitch tourqu converter :D
they certainly did:D
google up "super turbine 400"
that was my dirty secret for years in my Buick;Sweet
there was a easy way to have a push button rigged to your shifter so you could high stall at the lights. as the tree dropped, you let go of the button and you had a "locked up" converter when you launched. When you were lugging around 3800lbs of Buick and you were running against Camaros, you had to do something to get you out of the box:D

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
What exactly does 'stall' mean, in regards to the torque convertor? Where would you generally want your stall speed on a diesel?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stall speed is the RPM's at which the converter transfers maximum torque to the transmission. RPM's beyond the stall speed will not result in additional "lock up" for lack of a better word, which for a non-locking converter, doesn't really have.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below the stall speed, low amounts of torque are transfered, above the stall speed nearly all the torque is transfered, but there is still some small amount of slip. A very crude and over simplified way to think of it is to compare it to a centrifugal clutch, and the stall speed is where the clutch starts to grab. Not sure how a lockup would help for the drag strip though.

Our diesels probably should have stall speed of 1600 RPM because thats where the serious powerband and torque starts. I think stock is 1800, I would guess 1400 is about as low as you can reasonably go with this class of torque converter/transmission.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Years ago (when I had hair) installed a 3500 Stall Converter in my 67 Mustang with a mild 351W. The motor had a cam that kicked in hard at 3500 RPM.s so when I added the stall converter, it made it so when you stomped on the gas, the converter would kick in at 3500,right when the motor was making the most power. It made a huge difference in off line performance, and dropped about 1/2 a second from my 1/4 mile time slips.

With the Cummins swap, I found a Low Stall towing converter that kicks in about 400 rpm's lower than stock. It better utilizes the big ole torque numbers of the Cummins on take off.

sassyrel

Reaction score
stall speed. inside the torque converter--are "fins". as the speed of the tq picks up, the fins edges get closer and closer together. kinda like when a hose is free flowing, and as you bend the hose, the water can no longer get thru. its the same effect happening in tq-as the fins get closer, the oil can no longer freely flow by the fins, because the edges of the fins are getting closer together. when your at stall---the fins are "bent" as close together as they are going to get. a c6 has something like 3 or 4% slip at full stall.....thats why the heat is being created when your under the rated stall speed-- this oil is bypassing a very close area--. when your at stall, near no heat is being created.... aim a water hose at a fan to somewhat understand the function of the fins in the tq--hose being one half of the turbine, fan blade being the other half----------clear as mud???? :D