bypassing AC compressor on OBS IDI's

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
I posted a thread about a noise comming from the fan belt tensioner.....well I replaced that with a brand new one, and it still squeeks, so now I have concluded it is comming from my a/c compressor........the compressor is actually siezed up, so I thought it would be ok just don't turn it on, but now it has an annoying/embarassing squeek, so I was thinking I could just get a shorter fan belt and not hook up the compresor, till I get enough money to buy a new one, so I was wondering your guys thoughts on this and if you no how long of a belt I need. I no the 92 customs didn't come with an ac system, but when I went to napa he says he needs the actual lenght.

Thanks, Mario

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup, you can bypass it easily.
The best way to get a length on it is to take a string and go around all the pulleys in the same pattern with the old belt still installed to keep the tensioner at the correct position. Less the A/C compressor to get your length. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mario-
if you check in the Motormite/Doorman racks, there is a AC bypass pulley and bracket setup that can be bought. you can still run your current belt and you won't have to worry about how the belt will loop around the vac pump and the PS pump.

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
Hey calvin, I couldn't find that pully set up so I just bought a new compressor, it was only 160, not too bad I guess. Thanks for your help.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, my brother has one that he had mounted on his truck. Those work awesome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01