Buying 99 7.3 F350 flatbed 4x4...maybe

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time talking myself out of buying another truck, 99 7.3 F350 crew cab, flatbed, 4x4, zf 6 trans, 270K miles. New clutch and flywheel, new injectors, new brakes. Needs tires, has a crappy welded up nightmare for a bumper. Think I can get it for $7000. I would be using it to haul the my 5000lb travel trailer all over creation. What do you think? I've never owned a zf6, are they good trannies? Anybody tried any of the $200-$300 bumpers on e-bay & amazon? any comments appreciated!

Thanks!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man if it’s clean I would get it. Zf6 is great for towing, dunno about the eBay bumpers.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time talking myself out of buying another truck, 99 7.3 F350 crew cab, flatbed, 4x4, zf 6 trans, 270K miles. New clutch and flywheel, new injectors, new brakes. Needs tires, has a crappy welded up nightmare for a bumper. Think I can get it for $7000. I would be using it to haul the my 5000lb travel trailer all over creation. What do you think? I've never owned a zf6, are they good trannies? Anybody tried any of the $200-$300 bumpers on e-bay & amazon? any comments appreciated!

Thanks!

Bought my 99 (CC,4x4,ZF6) a few years back for $6k with 220k miles on it and zero rust

The ZF6 is indestructible unless you loose fluid or the radiator/cooler assembly fails.

I run pennzoil synchromesh in mine (and all my standard transmissions) although it is spec'd from ford for ATF fluid.

The 7.3 PSD and ZF6 is probably the most sought after engine/transmission combination, and "they aren't making any more of them"

Last edited:

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it followed me home. The cab is in great shape, no rust, interior is good (but filthy). Engine is strong, with about average blowby I've seen on trucks with this mileage. Transmission shifts great, clutch linkage feels like it needs a little attention. Oil cooler needs a rebuild, I'm pretty sure turbo pedestal is leaking oil & needs resealing, carrier bearing sounds like it's about to go. Given the mechanical issues I offered $6,000 and he took it. I think I did OK, but I've got a lot of work to do. Anyway, I'm a powerstroker now!
You must be registered for see images attach

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First repair completed today, fixing parking brake. I feared the worst, but turned out to be 5 minutes under the truck with a brake adjuster spoon & done, AWESOME!