Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the roof on my trailer this summer and was told by a guy who does them for a living he said don't use tar for the seams it drys out and leaks in a few years time he told me to use elastomeric sealr on the roof and do 2 coats and hand paint around any vent or seam and I'm very happy with the results and I only used 2 gallons it was less than 65 bucks to do it

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just did the roof on my trailer this summer and was told by a guy who does them for a living he said don't use tar for the seams it drys out and leaks in a few years time he told me to use elastomeric sealr on the roof and do 2 coats and hand paint around any vent or seam and I'm very happy with the results and I only used 2 gallons it was less than 65 bucks to do it

Yep the junk trailer i bought a year ago was a tarry mess and it didn't seal jack. It was an aluminum roof. I had to scrape it to death to get it off. I used black rubber sticky patch stuff with silver on the outer side and sealed the edges with dicor. Not a drop came in again.

Thankfully this one has no tar, just pesky cheap silicone caulking. I'll take that over tar though.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh there is one thing, I hope like hell its there in the rig somewhere, is the top of the air filter box. There looked to be a k&n filter in the box but no cover on it. I bet that would be hard to track down by itself!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Wow very rare score. you might want to watch for an overdrive unit for it. too bad the 6.9s only came with a C6.

I would have grabbed it up too, but wife may have protested.........

It's costing me a little over $200 just to get it too. It was 300 miles one way to come look at it, $7.50 in tolls to save an hour of driving. I won't take the toll route going back since I'm not in a hurry.

I was getting crap mileage on one half tank from going 70+ (75 limit) and being lead footed on hills. It still took almost all day, with refueling, bathroom breaks, attending to my dog.

The cheapest way to go back to collect it is by greyhound, $80. Plus about $15-20 for uber. It's a 12-14 hour haul including a several hour layover.

Flying is $328. Ouch. $228 is more valuable to me than time, so greyhound it is.

My mom is going to babysit my dog for a day or so while I'm off fetching it. Otherwise I'd have to rent a car one-way which would almost be the same as flying, once you add in fuel.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Can you post some pictures of the ATS Van turbo kit? I'd love to pin the photos to my IDI Van Turbo Differences article.

Will do, once I get it! I was kind of hurrying due to it being after 4 when I got there, before it got dark. The doghouse was unfastened so and i got to pull it away and look around a little. But I honestly didn't think to take any pictures at all.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Flush the radiator, may want to check the fluid, and perhaps have it running from cold with the cap off; looking for bubbles(head gaskets). I was researching Diesel RV's a while back, and often times, the diesels fail in under 100k miles. From what I understand, it's from people basically not having a clue, letting them idle too long, not long enough, running them hard from cold, running them hard, and shutting down immediately, blah blah blah.

I guess my point is, good engines, sh***y operators, bad idea.

With a motorhome, excessive idling is highly unlikely. Work trucks, yes. It has a generator (1000+ hours on the counter) and a roof ac that's stronger than dash ac and it uses less fuel I'm sure.

Coolant change, yes. I was about ready to do it on my truck. I might still, since i know it needs it desperately. but I probably won't bother with new hoses. Cheapest is gonna be the way I go. The truck is going to end up parked/stored once I start using the MH full time so I don't want to pour much money into it right now. I don't think I want to sell it though. I have too much money in it that I can't get back. Maybe in a year or two I might. It costs nothing to keep it stored at my mom's house, so why not?

The currently 2 month old batteries I put in the truck will be moved to it. The MH has mismatched batteries in it at the moment.

I'm debating moving the newer alternator and vacuum pump I bought to the MH too, so I don't end up having to buy them again for the MH. It's not THAT much work. The alternator comes off to do vac pump anyway.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well i picked it up today and holy crap its a mess!! I have almost no brakes. I have (some) vacuum. But look.... transmission fluid?!?

You must be registered for see images attach

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i picked it up today and holy crap its a mess!! I have almost no brakes. I have (some) vacuum. But look.... transmission fluid?!?

rub it in your fingers if its trans fluid it will be slippery if its brake fluid its not very slippery. also give it a smell. either way i would flush the brake fluid.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
rub it in your fingers if its trans fluid it will be slippery if its brake fluid its not very slippery. also give it a smell. either way i would flush the brake fluid.

Im too tired to mess with it tonight. Its almost 5pm and I've been up since 8:30 yesterday morning. A garage nearby said to bring it in so they can look at it in the morning.

No wonder he had it so i couldn't test drive it.

Its stalling out at idle too some now, and effing hell the trans might be going.

It had a rotten fuel hose that at least tge seller ran and got so i could even get it running today.

Looks like I got duped.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The one is when i had the short rotten piece of return hose removed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online