Buying 6.0

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
im in the market for a 250/350 diesel. I'm looking at the older more affordable ones which are around 03-05. I hear a lot of bad about the 6.0 but hear people say good too. I've found some that are bulletproofed priced a little higher. I also found a 03 350 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0. Truck looks like it's in great shape, 1 owner, with 177k on it. Completely stock. They want 9k. Just looking for some input from you guys. What to look for, stay away from, etc. This is my first diesel so all I really know is what Ive been reading. I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
I am not that familiar with the 6.0 Powerstroke but from what I have heard from word of mouth is that the 2003 and 04 have the most problems sense they were the first years built. I would stay away from them unless you are willing to put some money into them.That is just my opinion and the other guys probably have better advice then I do. I wish you good luck with whatever truck you choose!

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the 03 and 04. 05 to 07 most if not all of the shortcomings were addressed, except for the EGR cooler which in my opinion you should delete anyway. If your state requires emissions just plug the ends and re-install.

But don't let the horror stories scare you from the 6.0s! Most of the ones that had problems are/were owned by neglectful owners.

I absolutely LOVE mine and the only problem I've had was a stuck unisong ring which an italian tune up and custom SCT tunes from Matt @ Gearhead fixed. Nothing but thousands of trouble free miles since then.

Finding one with maintenance records would be a big plus.

I cannot stress this enough. Maintenance is KEY in these engines. And will make all the difference between happy and bankrupt owners.

If you can't find one with all the bulletproofing already done, take the $ required to do it into consideration before buying one that hasn't.

For those "bulletproofed" trucks out there , request reciepts for all the work done. You'll be taking the seller's word for it and you know what they say about that...

Visually inspect it, make sure it has ARP head studs instead of bolts.

They should look like this
You must be registered for see images attach

And not his

You must be registered for see images

Things that should be done / get done in the future.

ARP head studs and OEM head gaskets. Stay away from anything other than OEM gaskets.

Fuel pressure regulator ( Blue spring mod ) crucial if you want your injectors to have a long life.

Dummy plugs and stand pipes. (They can leak and cause no start issues)

STC fitting. (HPOP)

Oil cooler. You want to know the condition of the oil cooler. If the truck has gauges, take it for a drive. Oil and coolant temps should't be further than 15* from each other.

EGR cooler. Get rid of that junkbox. Use it as a target if you're into shooting

Bypass coolant filter is a great +

You'll hear mixed opinions on type of coolant. I ditched the Ford Gold for CAT ELC

Oil & Filter change every 3k
Fuel filters every 5k
Tranny every 30k

Nothing but full synthetics.

Run it like you stole it, they hate short runs and being babied.

Drive it happily ever after....ish ;)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't shy away from any year...... There are some differences in the early 03-04.5 and later engines. One difference is, the early ones don't have the STC Fittings..... but the ICP sensor is a B***h to get to..... it on the HPOP Cover, rather than the passenger side oil rail....

The key is MAINTENANCE!!!!! Not necessarily year.... I have an 03, that I bought used in 07 and the original owner was meticulous with maintenance. In the owners manual, the service recommended listings, each mileage mark in the book had the service mileage written in the book, from new until I bought it. I have been **** about maintenance...... Oil at 5,000 miles, fuel filter at 10,000 miles.... MOTORCRAFT ONLY, or from the IH Dealer, I've used both. Switch to full synthetic in the crankcase.... one of the best things you can do.... especially if you live somewhere cold.

In performing the maintenance like this... the only thing I've had to replace is the Alternator/Batteries, FICM (Because of the battery/alternator issues), ICP, and Water Pump. I've deleted the EGR Cooler due to an external leak in the blue supply hose not and issue with the cooler itself, and routine maintenance filters and oil. EVERYTHING ELSE is FACTORY. All 8 injectors, Turbo, Head Gaskets and Bolts......

One really big thing I would suggest is NO TUNERS..... mine has not had a tuner at all..... which has helped to keep it together. Also, DO NOT BABY IT..... drive it fairly hard........ but not abusive........ this helps to keep the Turbo operating correctly......

Mine is at 167,000 Miles.... and is not getting driven as much, not due to engine issues.... but it needs ball joints.... (again)...... but if it wasn't for the dying ball joints, I'd drive mine anywhere.......

Key is MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE!!!!!

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
Guys, I found a 03 with the 7.3 in it. I've heard and read that these motors are one of the best and that they don't need to be bulletproofed. Anyone know about the 7.3's?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not as much power as a 6.0, but 100x more durable.
I love mine. Actually I beat my neighbors 6.0. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
Would like you guys opinion. 04 f250 with 190k miles, crew cab 4x4, 6.0 with all the necessary mods, studded, deleted, tuned, and more. Or 03 f350 with the 7.3 and 211k miles, crew cab 4x4 with a plow

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Both auto? I do like the 5r100 in with the 6.0, but also the 4r100/7.3 ain't bad either.

I would say drive both, and look at the frames of both. Look for rust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
Yea both automatic. Guy just sent me more pics and a video of the 7.3 and it seems like it's a work truck. Plow in front, some crazy lift or something in the bed, all kinds of monitors in the front seat. The 6.0 seems pretty spotless. Haven't seen either in person yet though. What's your opinion on a 6.0 that is bone stock all crew cab 4x4 auto with 170-200k miles on them?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the service history on the 6.0. It should have had the HPOP replaced/rebuilt. The5r100 should be good if the filters have been changed along with the fluid. If not look at rebuilding both.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion of the two, with the description you have at this point... I would say the 6.0.

Normally, a plow truck lives a pretty rough life. The 5R110 in my opinion, in stock form, is a much better transmission, especially if you are towing. If the one has a plow, and something in the bed..... it's probably in much rougher shape than the 6.0. In 03, they did put the 7.3 in early in the year, the 6.0 is technically a 2003.25 and up model year........

So a potentially "bulletproofed" 6.0 or a potentially thrashed 7.3..... I'd say it's a no brainer..... with the information we currently have......

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
Yea I found a couple that are not bulletproof, just stock. And I found a couple that are bulletproofed. From what I know at this point the bulletproofed ones are the way to go but I was wondering if I end up having to go with one that is stock due to a bulletproof one being too deep for my pockets

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
See if you can get a maintenance history, and see if it's ever been tuned. Mine is 99.9% Stock........ but never tuned...... my EGR is deleted, which if you live where there is no emission testing, I highly recommend it......

Also, this may sound bad, but I would try and find one from an "old guy"..... Someone like me at 42, or DaveBen that is retired normally takes better care of their vehicles, than a 16 year old that "Mommy and Daddy" bought the trucks for them...... This is not 100%, I know of young people that take very good car of their vehicles, but...... my opinion is, if their first selling point is how much coal it will roll....... especially if it's truly stock.... RUN!!!!! A 100% stock tune 6.0 DOES NOT ROLL COAL!!!!! It may has a bit..... but it will not black out the road......... or it's tuned. and not stock........

Take a look, get a good feel, ad go from there....... If a 6.0 is "sick", it normally will show it's not feeling well

Stahl30bb

Reaction score
Yea the one I'm interested in most is a 6.0 bulletproofed and spotless. Dude is 52 and is selling because he ordered a 2017 f250. He was gonna give the truck to his daughter but his wife didn't want her to have a "hot rod diesel" he said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online