Built 7.3 Idi Turbo fuel pump

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats a recommended fuel flow rating for a 7.3 idi turbo running a stock pump maxed and 20psi. Is 35gph at 5psi enough

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats plenty of flow rate and the pressure is great. Are you taking this pressure reading before or after the filter? Its best after the filter.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats a recommended fuel flow rating for a 7.3 idi turbo running a stock pump maxed and 20psi. Is 35gph at 5psi enough

Where are you getting the 20 psi from?
If your going 60 MPH and get 16 MPG, your burning 3.75 Gal per hour.
The 5 psi means nothing, except your supplying enough fuel to the IP to keep running at the above figures. You could run at 2 psi and that would still be enough, as long as the engine don't stumble at the above speed.

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20psi boost pressure. 5 psi after the filters supply pressure. On a 35gph lift pump. Feeding a stock injection pump turned all the way up.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If your going 60 MPH and get 16 MPG, your burning 3.75 Gal per hour.

Irrelevant. The number that matters is peak fuel consumption. What is the GPH wide open at redline? That is what the pump needs to supply. I suspect for a IDI turbo it's somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 GPH. 35 GPH is sufficient so long as it actually flows near that as installed. For comparison, a typical mild to moderate power level big block will burn around 25 GPH wide open.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year 7.3? what turbo? how are you getting 20 psi?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blast from the past.

Good question brian.
still hunting gph for a stock 7.3 idi loaded.
looks like stock lift pump runs 30 gpm....

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 year old post, op is LONG gone..
I have been hunting gph flow rates for a 7.3 idit with no luck, looks like the mech pump was rated at 30 for the n\a eng.
The faccet is not cuttin it, I am hunting a replacement the carter is low,but diesel rated. the holly red is not rated but they do list diesel e pumps.
Brb.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that most of the fuel going through the IP is returned to the tank - quite a lot ends up used for lubrication and cooling of the IP.

Part of the problem of the electric pumps, is that you need to find one that can output a large number of GPH at a given pressure. Not, say, 5 PSI max, 35GPH(at zero back pressure).

Mechanical pumps run faster with higher RPM, so the size of the pump can be less. They also can produce quite a bit of force, not limited by a small amount of electrical power.

Personally, I don't see the problem with the stock mechanical pump - if one can handle a RD2-110 at full throttle and still push 3.5 PSI(with 4.5 PSI at idle), that's more than enough for any smaller IDI.
Add a primer pump if you want, after the mechanical pump, just make sure it can "flow through".

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 year old post, op is LONG gone..
I have been hunting gph flow rates for a 7.3 idit with no luck, looks like the mech pump was rated at 30 for the n\a eng.
The faccet is not cuttin it, I am hunting a replacement the carter is low,but diesel rated. the holly red is not rated but they do list diesel e pumps.
Brb.
the only pump I run is the holley blue or black
blue is 110 GPH
black is 140 GPH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online