Building 7.3 idi

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched your video and knew exactly where that was! I live in Yucaipa, right on the side you were heading too, nice truck

doofussevilla

Reaction score
I *really* like a S360 with a .63 hot side. Yes, it's really tight, but it spools *extremely* well. Make sure you have studs when running this - I hit 30 PSI near instantly on acceleration with just a 110CC pump.
That should give you as much air as you want, and you can always add an external wastegate to the exhaust if it gives you *too* much pressure.

Bore wise, I had one bored .030 over. Worked, no cavitation issues. Ended up throwing a rod(machine shop not knowing what the F they were doing, valve clearance issues), but it *still* holds coolant.

Also, I always time by ear. I've found that what gives you the most power and sounds the quietest without giving any gray smoke on acceleration(black is OK) is generally best. This also results in lower EGTs.

You'll also probably find what I did - as long as you are not smoking, egts stay sane. It's when you start smoking out the tailpipe(overfueling/rich mixture) that they start creeping up.
Your advice that you gave me on you tube did help me get pretty close to where it doesn't smoke much. I'm thinking my problem was my injectors were popping way sooner then they should be. Can I order a s360 with .63 hot side?
Bet that test drive was on I60 thru the bad lands area. Driven it way too many times hauling horses. RV and dirt bikes. I was young once long ago.
after intercooler i could ran bad lands, yucaipa grade, like 80mph easily. The video was lambs canyon, run that daily. i blew the truck on indio grade.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope'I have a 92 with the banks sidewinder kit. Currently runs about 13psi and pulls real good, if your in Yucaipa we can have an idi meet!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Truck started off as a 7.3 idi with 088 turbo and zf5 trans pushing 3.55 gears. i'm young and wanna go fast so i decided to spend my money on a car with a big block and keep my truck as a tow vehicle

I fixed your entire thread LOL

Sorry, I couldn't help it, every time I've crossed over your thread that line popped up and all I could think was "trying soup up an IDI for speed is like trying to put soup in a sieve......"

NICE truck though ;Sweet

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your advice that you gave me on you tube did help me get pretty close to where it doesn't smoke much. I'm thinking my problem was my injectors were popping way sooner then they should be. Can I order a s360 with .63 hot side?
I don't know; you'd have to talk to the vendor you buy your S360.
I bought my hot side from some random web site, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...e-Housing-S360-S363-S364-5-SX-E-/222192962690
My S360 came from a member over on FtE forum who had just the one, with a .85 iirc
Swapped on the .63 myself after failing to get any decent boost out of the .85.

This site seems to have it as an option: https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s360-s300sx3-s300-60-68-177272/

Here's the only footage I have of this turbo on an IDI; this was with my RD2-110 IP. Pretty sure this would handle a 150 or 180cc IP without breaking a sweat...
Go to about 9 minutes for just seeing the thing spool:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

doofussevilla

Reaction score
I don't know; you'd have to talk to the vendor you buy your S360.
I bought my hot side from some random web site, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...e-Housing-S360-S363-S364-5-SX-E-/222192962690
My S360 came from a member over on FtE forum who had just the one, with a .85 iirc
Swapped on the .63 myself after failing to get any decent boost out of the .85.

This site seems to have it as an option: https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s360-s300sx3-s300-60-68-177272/

Here's the only footage I have of this turbo on an IDI; this was with my RD2-110 IP. Pretty sure this would handle a 150 or 180cc IP without breaking a sweat...
Go to about 9 minutes for just seeing the thing spool:
Did that set up last? Turbo surge is concerning. I talked to anderson and he claims he can like 250rwhp with 90cc!! Which seems perfect for my tow needs. idk.

CheckYourBuffer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck started off as a 7.3 idi with 088 turbo and zf5 trans pushing 3.55 gears. i'm young and wanna go fast so i got my hands on a factory turbo and slapped it on her. I was running about 15psi daily on my commute to work, ******* 18-19 psi floored. I still wasn't happy with egt's and power so last month i installed my psd inter cooler. it was making decent power after that, egts still were on hot side, needed to time it. however i blew the head gaskets after flooring it from a zero to sixty instead of easing into it. The engine was tired so it got torn apart, machined .020 over, crank cut .010 under. I ordered studs, and cam from r and d last night. what turbo can keep egts cool with like 150cc???? s366 using 093 hotside? posting this to get educated, educated others, and showing off my build step by step. I'm not any crazy mechanic by any means. just your average teenger looking for some extra power.

------before intercooler, egts were still pretty high..
im here in riverside too! murrieta area :)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that set up last? Turbo surge is concerning.
What turbo surge?
I didn't see any surging... Just the boots blowing off. Took me a while to figure out a set of piping that would hold 30 PSI without blowing, especially hot.

It required a *lot* of pressure on those band-clamps; regular hose clamps don't work so well.

Turbo worked just fine. What didn't last was the motor - not long after getting it dialed in, the motor threw a rod a few seconds after a cold startup.
(there had been off and on issues since it was rebuilt, though, so I'm not convinced that the turbo had a lot to do with it. It had a definite tick going on too...

That was in November. I meant to build up a new motor for that truck, but haven't had the chance. I bought a '93 factory-turbo truck in running condition for $1950, swapped my IP onto it and hit 250RWHP and have been driving it ever since.
I'll definitely resurrect that setup as soon as I can, but I haven't had the time to do it right.
I'd really like to build up a 6.9, drilled out for 1/2" studs or 9/16" bolts.

doofussevilla

Reaction score
What turbo surge?
I didn't see any surging... Just the boots blowing off. Took me a while to figure out a set of piping that would hold 30 PSI without blowing, especially hot.

It required a *lot* of pressure on those band-clamps; regular hose clamps don't work so well.

Turbo worked just fine. What didn't last was the motor - not long after getting it dialed in, the motor threw a rod a few seconds after a cold startup.
(there had been off and on issues since it was rebuilt, though, so I'm not convinced that the turbo had a lot to do with it. It had a definite tick going on too...

That was in November. I meant to build up a new motor for that truck, but haven't had the chance. I bought a '93 factory-turbo truck in running condition for $1950, swapped my IP onto it and hit 250RWHP and have been driving it ever since.
I'll definitely resurrect that setup as soon as I can, but I haven't had the time to do it right.
I'd really like to build up a 6.9, drilled out for 1/2" studs or 9/16" bolts.
I hope i don't ruin my built engine, i don't want to touch it for the next 20 years. whats that noise after shifts on your video? i assumed that's what everyone calls turbo surge.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope i don't ruin my built engine, i don't want to touch it for the next 20 years.
I, uh, hate to say it, but if you are pushing 300+ RWHP through an IDI that's rated at ~130, having issues down the road is likely.
There aren't many high-HP IDIs out there, period, so there isn't much in the way of long-term data.

At 200 RWHP, yes, there's plenty of people who have run them for 2-400,000 miles, but I'd still not expect it to work trouble-free for 20 years. 10, maby.

Heck, even our '02 Powerstroke has 350K on it, but it needs a set of injectors. And the HPOP O-rings tend to go out every 100K miles. So... "not touch it for 20 years" isn't really practical.

whats that noise after shifts on your video? i assumed that's what everyone calls turbo surge.
Unlike a gas engine where you have a throttle plate and blow-off valve, in a diesel you have no airflow restriction and so when you let off on the throttle you go from the turbo accelerating to it decelerating and "pushing" the engine. It's not really a problem because the air still can go into the motor(unlike choking it off with a throttle plate), and the motor just works fine as an air pump.
I think what you are hearing is simply the lack of drive pressure on the turbine side, and it slowing down relatively quickly due to the pressure/backpressure of the air in the intake. Not instantly, though, and you can see that the boost doesn't "jump" or anything.

Also, this happens with any turbo, to some extent. This turbo is just really loud. Probably something to do with noise being transmitted directly to the cab from the frame due to having improperly-installed running boards that connected to both the frame and the cab.

edit:
at 30s or so - If you hear that, then you have a problem of some sort. That stutter/surging. But mine's always been consistant, no surging.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, any turbo will do that. Mine will, just like that video. The truck in the above video appears to be an 05-07 6.0 (this one has the plastic CAC tube, the early ones, like my 03 have a metal CAC tube). If you rev the engine and build boost (think a tractor/truck pull situation) when you throttle off quickly, and quickly is the key, if you ease it down the same way the above video built the boost, it won't make that noise. I think one thing that makes it more noticeable on the 6.0 is the fact it's a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) so not only are you pushing boost into a now slowing engine, the VGT moves and effectively changes the size of the exhaust side. Once he shuts the engine off, you can hear the turbo winding down, and that is the air roaring noise going into the intake. Plus the camera operator is standing directly in front of the air intake. In that video, it is just to the left (toward the center of the truck) of the drivers side headlight. That video was actually a nice healthy sounding 6.0... They have the higher pitched "tinny" clack to them rather than the lower pitched clunk knock the 6.9/7.3 IDI and 7.3 PSD do.... they are also the last "noisy" diesel Ford used.... the 6.4 and 6.7 sound like a gasser with noisy lifters...... bugs the hell outta me......

I would say if you hear that sound occasionally on a decell, like in that video, you shouldn't have any issues. But if you hear that type of noise running down the road, you have an issue with turbo surge, also referred to as a turbo bark or a turbo fart. I think the Wicked Wheel was initially offered to "fix" turbo surge in the 99+ SuperDuty 7.3PSD's and was similar to the factory OBS PSD turbo wheel....

In this video, when they get red flagged, to shut down at the far end, you can really hear what i am talking about.....

Plus, who doesn't love a good pull.......

doofussevilla

Reaction score
Hi there, so I got my parts from Anderson the other day, took a minute because he didn't have the studs in stock. I'm going to reseal the valves on head and look into the 910 valve springs everyone talks about. After that I'll have a long block, and in theory I just need big pump and turbo. I got some ideas for the truck.