Build thread: 1979 F150 6.9 Diesel Swap

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, will do. No pictures this round though haha sorry.

I installed the driveshafts yesterday, and now all I need is brakes and I can finally get it to move under it's own power (well, hopefully). We've been working on the wiring and got the new return kit put on (and new olives), so the fuel system should be set now. We're currently trying to figure out what's up with the glow plugs though... I'm thinking a bad controller, because I popped one plug out and let the controller go on it's own, and the glow plug got hot but didn't glow. I then waited a bit and jumped the connections on the controller with a wrench and the plug glowed. Any ideas here guys? Or does the controller maybe somehow sense the temperature and not get the glow plugs as hot when it's warmer out?

Thanks!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is such a cool build. I'm really hoping that when the time comes for me, I can get away without a body lift.

This is going along great!

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is such a cool build. I'm really hoping that when the time comes for me, I can get away without a body lift.

This is going along great!

Thank you kind sir! I'm getting really excited because it is really starting to come together and I expect to be able to drive it (around the block) by this weekend, as long as I don't find any other problems with the braking system.

When you do your swap, you can actually get away without the body lift if you do a hydroboost conversion. From my understanding, it's not too complicated, but I decided on the body lift just because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (at the price I needed) for a hydroboost conversion.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to ask, but you probably don't have AC on board, do you? There have been some different statements on whether or not this conversion will work with AC plenum on the firewall. So, being curious I just wanted to know. And also this was a 351M or 351C it is being converted from?

Thanks!

Oh, and I was seriously considering a hydroboost conversion with the parts coming from a 3/4T Chevy with a 6.2 that's rotted out. So hopefully those components will work, because I am putting that in.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and more pictures please! ;Sweet

This is such a cool conversion!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I forgot to ask, but you probably don't have AC on board, do you? There have been some different statements on whether or not this conversion will work with AC plenum on the firewall. So, being curious I just wanted to know. And also this was a 351M or 351C it is being converted from?

When I did a 6.9 swap into a 78 f150, it had factory a/c and we didn't remove any of it. With a 3" body lift on that truck, everything fit just fine.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck does not have air conditioning, and it was previously a 351 m...

But here's an update: I drove it for the first time today!!!!! My father and I spent all day doing the brakes, which were absolutely hacked up (the truck used to be a mud truck). It pulled pretty good, steering is a little sloppy but the truck is 34 years old. Everyone I passed by stopped and stared, I don't think anyone had any idea what was rolling down the road. I'll post up a video here it a bit. Today was a huge step

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, quick update for you...

A few weeks back, I picked up a used Injection Pump off of an 86 6.9 from the local Pick n Pull for $46.99. I had a feeling mine was shot, and the thing would NOT start without ether. So, the other day I finally got time to swap out the Injection Pumps. The first few starts, I used a tad bit of ether just to be sure all of the air was out. I then let it sit overnight and then just a little while ago I decided it was time to see if she would start on her own. It did! No ether at all, and everything seems to be working as it should. It's still a bit smokey, but I think that may just be because the timing is a bit off. Anyway, I'm thrilled that it started off of the glow plugs and just thought I'd share.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video coming!

When we took the old pump off, we marked on the timing cover where it was. When we installed the used one, we aligned it with that timing mark, instead of the factory mark. It is probably 1/16" advanced. Until we are able do do the dynamic timing, does it make more sense to set it to the factory timing mark instead? Also, we think the glow plugs (new Motorcrafts) are functioning correctly, but how long SHOULD they cycle for? Now that the weather in the Midwest is a balmy 80 degrees outside, should they cycle for a shorter period than if it was, say, 30 degrees? They are initially cycling for maybe six or seven seconds, then "pulsing".

Thanks for your input!

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update for you guys...

I was having a heck of a time getting it to start. So, I basically went back through everything... I decided the glow plug relay was bad, so I replaced that and ensured the plugs glowed (and they do now). Next up was the starter and batteries, both of which were worn and contributing to the hard starting. Lastly, I decided that the injection pump that I had put on (from a junkyard for $46.99) was worn out, so I went ahead and got a new (rebuilt) pump. Put that on, and bled the air out and she fires RIGHT up now.

I'll get a video for you guys soon, but it's really coming together now. I'm currently working very ******* the body, and going to aim to get it in primer this weekend. Then, there's a bit more wiring to do and some other small stuff. Thank you all for your help.

junkyjim

Reaction score
Been following this for a while and trying to get this beast on the road.
Trying to find out what radiator you guys are running with the 6.9/7.3 in these
trucks.