Build thread: 1979 F150 6.9 Diesel Swap

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool build! I put an idi in my 79 bronco years ago. I no longer have the truck though. Illinois state police took it from me for too many overheight tickets! By the way I'm in Mchenry. Bout 25 minutes west of you.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and yeah that help would've been nice lol.

77F250, what are you running for fans? The stock diesel fan doesn't fit with the current 2 row, I don't see how it will fit with the 3 row. I'm thinking I will have to go electric, but what will provide the most cooling?

ken74, overheight tickets? How much lift did you have? That really sucks. I've been out to McHenry quite a few times, so I know where it is and it's not too far at all

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the stock fan w/a custom shroud.
It's tight, I can't remove the fan without taking the shroud off at the same time.
I'm going to switch to electric when I pull the motor for the cam swap and studs.

Dennis

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the stock fan w/a custom shroud.
It's tight, I can't remove the fan without taking the shroud off at the same time.
I'm going to switch to electric when I pull the motor for the cam swap and studs.

Dennis

Is there a specific electric fan that works especially well in cooling these motors?

For example on my current daily driver, I read online of a lot of guys swapping in an electric fan from a 3.8 liter Ford Taurus. So I went that route, but I know that the taurus fan I'm running on my 3.9 Dakota will not be sufficient in cooling the 6.9.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guys run dual Taurus fans but those aren't quite as good if you tow heavier loads...

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, here's an update:

I got new injectors and return lines and replaced those today. One of the old injectors came apart in the head, that was a pain in the butt, but I got everything out and cleaned the carbon and all that. I haven't started it yet with the new injectors and lines, but I will do that tomorrow once my father and I get more of the wiring done. I also got an all aluminum 3 core radiator online and installed that.

Then today I went to my local pick n pull to look for the clutch fork dust boot. No luck, but they did have an 85 F250 with a 6.9 and a C6 sitting there. The motor was untouched, so I went and asked how much they wanted for the injection pump. The guy said $46.99, so I grabbed my tools and went back out and got that, as well as the throttle cable bracket, which my motor was missing. The injection pump has an "E" stamped on the side, the one on my truck doesn't so I'm not sure if they're the same. But I figured that I could sell it or keep it as a cheap core. Haven't gotten the numbers off of it, as I still need to clean it. I also got an electric fan off of a Lincoln Mark VIII for $26.99, versus $100+ online. I'm hoping between the aluminum radiator and this fan that I will have ample cooling. Do you guys think the alternator will be able to handle the fan, or should I upgrade it?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running a stock alternator?

From a company that rebuilds starters, alternators, and other vehicle electrics in all forms from standard to extreme duty - I was told that a stock alternator would handle most vehicles even with a bit of upgrading. But I live by the motto that over building everything is still not heavy enough. But I guess the single wire alternators aren't truly the best for us diesel owners since it requires a bit of RPM to start the charging process.

I was working on my current project which is putting a 6.9 into a gas project and I was wondering what the motor mounts look like on your 79 and which engine came stock in it. Was it a modified?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool build! I put an idi in my 79 bronco years ago. I no longer have the truck though. Illinois state police took it from me for too many overheight tickets! By the way I'm in Mchenry. Bout 25 minutes west of you.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you pm me with some information on how you did it and with what drivetrain? Or post it here if you think it would help the OP. Thanks!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I have to ask, how hard was it to get the 6.9 and radiator into the 77 chassis (I am assuming it has the narrow frame and funky steering)? Like motor mounts? Maybe PM if you think this is a hijack.

Sorry dirtbiker, I just wanted to have as much info on your swap by others' information as well. It helps me visualize the swap better. Plus I was trying to figure out how you worked in the clutch setup. Is it hydraulic or somehow just hooked up like the older standards were...

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running a stock alternator?

From a company that rebuilds starters, alternators, and other vehicle electrics in all forms from standard to extreme duty - I was told that a stock alternator would handle most vehicles even with a bit of upgrading. But I live by the motto that over building everything is still not heavy enough. But I guess the single wire alternators aren't truly the best for us diesel owners since it requires a bit of RPM to start the charging process.

I was working on my current project which is putting a 6.9 into a gas project and I was wondering what the motor mounts look like on your 79 and which engine came stock in it. Was it a modified?

Yeah, it's stock (as far as I know). I think I'll see how it does and then go from there. I know that the fan I purchased from the junk yard has a high start up draw, so that's really my only concern. I agree with the overbuilding thing, as well as doing things right the first time rather than cutting corners... I just think that I need to see how it handles the fan first.

As far as the motor mounts, they are custom. It was a 351 modified gasser in there. I can get you pictures of them tomorrow, it's no problem.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I have to ask, how hard was it to get the 6.9 and radiator into the 77 chassis (I am assuming it has the narrow frame and funky steering)? Like motor mounts? Maybe PM if you think this is a hijack.

Sorry dirtbiker, I just wanted to have as much info on your swap by others' information as well. It helps me visualize the swap better. Plus I was trying to figure out how you worked in the clutch setup. Is it hydraulic or somehow just hooked up like the older standards were...

No it's fine, it has to do with what I'm doing, so I appreciate it. The 3 core aluminum radiator that I got was for a 351, so it mounted right up to my core support. I just used the 351 hoses and it seems fine. I've seen some 73-79 Fords with IDI's in them and they used the radiator, but they all had to cut their frame. I've got the 6.9 radiator, but I didn't want to go hacking up my frame.

The clutch was a bit of a pain, but it was doable. Basically, I took the clutch and brake pedals from the 86 Donor truck and used the pedal assembly from the 79 to make it work. I put the pin that hooks onto the clutch master cylinder rod on the left hand side, and put the clutch master towards the outside of the truck. So yes, I did a hydraulic setup. I also had to fabricate a reinforcement for the firewall, which wasn't too difficult. I will take pictures of all of this tomorrow and post them up for future reference for anyone who wants to do this swap.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is so cool!
I love that someone is doing the swap as well as sharing information requested. This looks like it's going to be one hell of a truck too! :)

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is so cool!
I love that someone is doing the swap as well as sharing information requested. This looks like it's going to be one hell of a truck too! :)

Thanks man... Here's a picture of the motor mount (the best I could show in a picture), as well as one of the reinforcement I made for the firewall. The reinforcement is just angle iron that is bolted to the firewall.

You must be registered for see images attach

And here's one of the new radiator:

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, quick update for you... I have since done more wiring, as well as mounted the inner fenders, hood, and the batteries are (almost) fully mounted. I got the Mark VIII fan mounted as well, and it sure does pull air! I've got a new return line kit coming (from Conestoga), because I'm still having hard start issues after I replaced the issues (I believe that the caps are leaking). I took the driveshafts in to be shortened yesterday and got them back today, so I will be installing those tomorrow after work. Then I have to finish wiring and do brakes and then it should be able to move under it's own power. Then it's on to body work... Here are some pictures, as well as some where I test fit (but didn't align) the one outer fender and grille.

Fan:

Rest of truck (don't mind all the stuff in the garage):

And the tonneau cover is from another truck, I just threw it on there so I could keep parts in the bed.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's coming along nicely man. You've made some really good progress.

Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Heath