Build thread: 1979 F150 6.9 Diesel Swap

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted much here yet, but I've been very busy working on the truck. A little background on the truck: It's a 79 F150 Single Cab, Shortbed and 4x4. The 6.9 motor is from a late 86 F250, so it's got the bullet style glow plugs. Behind it is a Borg Warner T19 trans, and whatever transfer case is with that. I believe it's a Warner too, but I haven't looked. I straight traded my 78 F250 2wd for this 79 back in late November. When I got it, the motor mounts were done and the engine was set on them, but not fully bolted down. There was no bed with it, I guess the old one was trashed so the guy scrapped it. Here it is when I picked it up:

You must be registered for see images attach

Since I've had it, I have done quite a bit. The first order of business was to get the engine fully mounted, so I finished bolting all of that down and it's in there nice and solid. Next up was to hear it crank and get it to start. I didn't want to do everything else and then find out the motor is trashed. It was drained of the oil, so I had to put oil in it before even cranking it. Of course, when I put oil in it, it had a nice oil leak from the pan. I replaced the pan, and put oil in it and it started. I replaced the glow plugs, and they were all Autolites. Only one was swollen, and I was lucky to get it out because it was pretty swelled. I also had to add the clutch pedal and fabricate a firewall reinforcement. All of that is hooked up and mounted now, and the clutch works. I also had to do a 3 inch body lift so that the brake booster cleared the valve cover. The truck had a 4 inch suspension lift already, so it's now lifted 7 inches. I picked up a bed and a passenger door for it, as well as some other small stuff. I had to replace the tank as well, because the old one has a leak. The fuel lines are all run, but does anyone know if there is supposed to be some sort of pressure regulation on the return line back towards the tank? I can't get it started without a little starting fluid (I know, I know, I don't use it with the glow plugs). Once it starts, it runs good but smokes quite a bit. The smoke does not clear up either, and I'm beginning to wonder if the injectors and/or pump are on their way out.

On the list to do still is getting a 3 core radiator (I have the stock 2 core from the gasser hooked up), do the wiring, fix air intrusion issues, get engine to start off of glow plugs, run brake lines, mount the fenders and hood, get driveshafts modified, and then finish the body work. I've still got a bit to do, but I've definitely made good progress from when I got the truck (considering I'm a college student). Here is a picture from a little while ago, but this is basically how it sits now:

I'll update this as I finish stuff up. Thanks for looking.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Should be a nice truck. I have a similar truck but swapped in a built 460. I think the '79 SWB trucks are the best looking rigs out there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recommend an aluminum radiater. The three row is not going to cool the engine. Many choices on the aluminum radiater too just ask around on this forum. Make sure something is always covering the intake even if the filter housing in on there. Most of the times the top cover is missing the rubber gasket so any snow or water collecting on top of the filter housing leaks into the engine. As for the smoke that could be many reasons. Simple is out of time. Nice project too. Why did the owner give up building this conversion.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really cool project man. I'd overdose the fuel with Howes or Power Service and run it for a bit before I'd give up on the IP and injectors. They may not be in good shape, but, they may just be varnished from sitting for a while. Same with the rings in the engine. I bet the smoking will get better with some time and a few heat cycles on that IDI.

Keep us up to date on the progress. I love a good project like this man.

Heath

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What are your opinions on what radiator I should get? And I always have a few bags over the intake as well as a tarp over the engine unless I'm running it. I'll have to see if the timing marks are lined up or what the deal is, but I'm still thinking it may be injectors or the injection pump. As to why the last guy gave up, he said he was moving and couldn't take it with him. I don't think he was lying, because he traded me straight up for my 78 F250 which I bought for $800 (it had a lot wrong, and wasn't pretty).

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really cool project man. I'd overdose the fuel with Howes or Power Service and run it for a bit before I'd give up on the IP and injectors. They may not be in good shape, but, they may just be varnished from sitting for a while. Same with the rings in the engine. I bet the smoking will get better with some time and a few heat cycles on that IDI.

Keep us up to date on the progress. I love a good project like this man.

Heath

Thanks man, I love it too. I think my plan is to keep working on stuff, and run it to see if the smoking clears up. My first thought was that since the engine had sat for about 8 months without being run that stuff may have just built up inside. I'm planning on getting my cooling system figured out, and then running some cleaner through it and running it more to see if the smoke clears.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do something like that to my '70 IH 1100D 4x4.

Truck is apart and waiting for bodywork and a driveline swap.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up Hairyboxnoogle over at FTE. You might be interested in his truck and he might be able to help you if you end up having any questions. Here is his signature over at FTE:

'79 F-350 Custom, Super Cab Flareside weighs in at 6460 -- 7.3IDI, Hx35, ZF-5/NP-205. 6.5" lift and straight pipes.

Also what all do you have planned for the truck? Nice build btw. Its always cool seeing swaps like this.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up Hairyboxnoogle over at FTE. You might be interested in his truck and he might be able to help you if you end up having any questions. Here is his signature over at FTE:

Also what all do you have planned for the truck? Nice build btw. Its always cool seeing swaps like this.

Thanks man, I'll have to check his rig out.

Anyway, I am currently working on getting it driveable while doing what I would consider to be a pretty thorough restoration. I replaced both floor pans, both rear wheel arches, and one cab corner, so I just need to grind down my welds and maybe skim coat the perimeter in bondo if it doesn't blend perfectly. Then I am going to paint it blue, the color is called "Midnight Blue Metallic". It's a lighter blue with a lot of metallic so it sparkles in the sun. I'm going to repaint the suspension, I already wire wheeled and treated the frame. I'll paint the wheels too, but I'm keeping those black. I might get some bigger tires, but we'll see how it performs with the gearing it has with these tires first. I'm thinking I will need bigger tires to get it up to highway speed without winding out the engine (4 speed trans).

As far as the engine... I'm going to leave it alone for now and just work on getting it on the road. This is going to be my daily driver, and my goal is to be taking it back to school with me this fall. I'm going to turbo it eventually, but am in no rush so I will wait until a deal pops up. I may look at getting a moose pump and injectors, as well as a new camshaft further down the road.

It won't be a show winning truck, but will be a nice truck that I will drive a lot and can probably still be taken to car shows. I think it will be awesome.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you this...... I for one would love to see it in person at an IDI rally one of these years.

Heath

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 row super cooling radiator will work just fine.
Same as I have in my truck, 90+ Florida heat, A/C on ,never overheated.

You'll need a friend to help lift it in, it's a beast.

Dennis

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'll have to check his rig out.

Anyway, I am currently working on getting it driveable while doing what I would consider to be a pretty thorough restoration. I replaced both floor pans, both rear wheel arches, and one cab corner, so I just need to grind down my welds and maybe skim coat the perimeter in bondo if it doesn't blend perfectly. Then I am going to paint it blue, the color is called "Midnight Blue Metallic". It's a lighter blue with a lot of metallic so it sparkles in the sun. I'm going to repaint the suspension, I already wire wheeled and treated the frame. I'll paint the wheels too, but I'm keeping those black. I might get some bigger tires, but we'll see how it performs with the gearing it has with these tires first. I'm thinking I will need bigger tires to get it up to highway speed without winding out the engine (4 speed trans).

As far as the engine... I'm going to leave it alone for now and just work on getting it on the road. This is going to be my daily driver, and my goal is to be taking it back to school with me this fall. I'm going to turbo it eventually, but am in no rush so I will wait until a deal pops up. I may look at getting a moose pump and injectors, as well as a new camshaft further down the road.

It won't be a show winning truck, but will be a nice truck that I will drive a lot and can probably still be taken to car shows. I think it will be awesome.

That sounds good man. I wish you would have started this build a few years ago. Lol. I lived near Gurnee when I was doing my A School for the Navy. I could have come over and helped. Haha.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Love it! The later 70's trucks are my favorite. I considered doing the same with my last 79, but got rid of it instead. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online