Bronco 7.3 idi Turbo Build

Drtimm2

Reaction score
1992 F350 4x4 5 speed
7.3idi Turbo Diesel
This is the donor for Our 1988 Bronco.
So, spit balling ideas. To cut and section the F350 frame to Bronco wheel base, or swap Full Drivetrain into Bronco frame?
Has anyone done this type of Project?
F350 was in a roll over, has 90k on engine.
I’ve owned many Broncos over the years, always wanted one that is a Diesel.
Any experience or advise are greatly appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chose the engine swap because I'm not a skilled fabricator. I used '08 SD axles ... STILL not finished with the project but I hope to have it complete, less paint, by winter.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap it into the bronco, it’s a simple swap and many people have done with success. Modern axles is always a plus.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about one myself, but I don't see why we can't just keep the bronco frame, axles etc and just drop the motor straight in.
The TTB axle under a 4x4 bronco is what... a Dana 44? Just like the Dana 44 in my '88 F-250 single cab?
Probably would need to add stiffer springs to the front axle, but I don't see why it would need much work at all.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you need a Diesel front end (core support, etc.) to do it 'right' - but there's probably flexibility. Bronco frame and TTB will probably hold up fine if you don't abuse it, I'd get HD springs front and rear.

Eli

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you need a Diesel front end (core support, etc.) to do it 'right' - but there's probably flexibility. Bronco frame and TTB will probably hold up fine if you don't abuse it, I'd get HD springs front and rear.

Eli

Core support is a "must". There was a thread, a while back, where a member cut/welded/fabed. a gasser core and made it work with the necessary radiator ... but if you have a donor truck with the correct core support, it's a bolt on fix.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coil springs from a Diesel 2wd F250

Diesel core support and fenders/grille/hood/cowl from the donor vehicle.

Complete drivetrain from donor vehicle.

New driveshafts made to length.

From what I've seen, that should be all that's needed. You'll have to do a little wiring but that should be relatively simple if you can read the wiring diagrams and compare.

I've been wanting one of these for a while, maybe someday.

Looking forward to your build!

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 6.9 C6 into an 88 EB Bronco many years ago and it was pretty simple, but time consuming. my drivesahfts from the bronco worked fine, but I use the bronco Tcase and bolted the diesel C6 to it. I made my wiring harness work from the bronco, but to do it again I woudl use the dash and harness from the diesel donor. all the engien mounts and perches from the diesel donro truck bolt in. one of the frame perches gets 3 bolts instead of 4, but its fine. if you are swapping to the 92-97 front clip alot of your diesel stuff is already mounted for you. its a nice swap with OEM parts! take your time.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could get shackle reversal brackets for a 87-91 F250/350 4x4 and use the front and rear F350 diffs /springs in there too. good luck in your adventure, love the ZF option you have, save the pedal assembly when you swap out the dash.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1992 F350 4x4 5 speed
7.3idi Turbo Diesel
This is the donor for Our 1988 Bronco.
So, spit balling ideas. To cut and section the F350 frame to Bronco wheel base, or swap Full Drivetrain into Bronco frame?
Has anyone done this type of Project?
F350 was in a roll over, has 90k on engine.
I’ve owned many Broncos over the years, always wanted one that is a Diesel.

Man I've kicked this same idea around so many times! 1980 thru 1996 Bronco's are all potential targets and I think could be completely assembled with factory parts. Member pics would be fuel for the fire!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It would be cool to see someone cut and section the truck frame...if it's still straight after the roll over. It may be the easier way to do this, especially if you want to keep the 1 ton axles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online