broken brass fitting where oil sending unit goes?

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i today i was adding a oil pressure gauge and temp gauge to the truck with a pillar pod. i went to remove the old oil sending unit pod and before i even get my wrench on it i notice its at an angle. to make a long story short theres a brass extension that the oil sending unit was on and it was already snapped and this explains the oil leak ive had and the lack of my oil pressure gauge working. so the problem is the threads from that brass extension are now in the block. i tried using an extractir to no avail. any suggestions?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least it is brass, and at least it is an out and not an in. The block is a lot harder than the brass, so a dremel tool with some kind of grinding tool might thin the brass part out enough that you can collapse it on itself. You'll just need to put something in the hole to catch as many of the brass bits as you can, and then crank the engine some to force oil out of the hole to flush it out. Sounds like a real PITA.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
o thats bad, at least it is a softer metal. if the ez out failed i would try a revurse drill bit loaded up with grease to catch the shavings. i had to do this on a *gasp* spark plug that got stuck in an aluminum head. work a little at a time clean the grease off and put new on often to catch the bits.

once its is thinned out enough you should be able to collapse it like Mel said or work it out with pliars. hope fully you just get lucky and it pops out with the bit. just make sure the bit is slightly smaller than your block threads so you dont drill them out.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw type extractors just plain suck. They make extractors that are tapered square metal, you tap them in with a hammer then turn the piece out.

The problem with the screw type extractors is that they make the broken piece expand tighter in the hole.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a hard place to do any kind of work thats for sure. The best EZ out is as posted, the square tapered kind. The hole thread size is 1/8th national pipe threads (NPT). True, its softer but you really don't want that floating around in the motor. It seems to me you are really lucky this is the time you decided to install some gages. An oil leak there could have cost you another motor.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I use the Irwin LH thread extractors with great sucess in brass, the square ones break too easy in my opinion once you go under 3/8". I use them for broken turbo feeds and etc.

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah guys i got it out! i borrowed a set of Matco extractors from a shop i used to work out and it came right out. i got the new gauge in and everything is working great! :thumbsup: only thing is, after driving. On a hot idle my oil pressure is 15 = /

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! 15 is great! :hail

LOL

The Moosestang makes like 4 to 6. :dunno Has all along.

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh wow i thought that 15 was low. im glad to see that i have good oil pressure. more miles for it to come! LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
IDI's have low idle oil pressure, nothing to be worried about. My co-worker with 25yrs at IH told me that the day I bought my 91. Some big engines are like that too - N14 Cummins have very little oil pressure at idle and run for a LONG time like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online