Bricknose Towing Capacity

Justin B

Reaction score
I have a 1990 F-250, 7.3 (about to be 6.9 due to engine swap), E4OD, Supercab, 2wd, 3.55 gears and I'm trying to find the maximum towing capacity. (I would also be interested in a combination of ZF5 and/or 4.10 gears, I could do those swaps if worth it).

I've searched the forums a bit and really what I'd like to see is a page from the owners manual that contains this information, if anyone has the diesel supplement available.

Additionally, does anyone know if Ford had different weights for towing combinations? (bumper pull vs. 5th?) Did Ford publish a pin weight or tongue weight?

I bought the truck to be able to pull a travel trailer, now I need to know what my capabilities are so I don't buy too much trailer.

I fully understand from reading the forums that some of you guys have moved mountains with your IDI's; however, I'm looking for the capacity that Ford said it was good for.

I'm planning on picking up a diesel supplement owners manual in the near future, I'm just nickle an diming an engine swap and it's all adding up to the point Mama's threatening I have to sell some of my other toys!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I gather from ur manuals it says 12.5k unless I read it wrong and thanks for the pictures the three types of towing helped me figure out what I wanted n my truck came with a stock 5th that was removed before I got it

Justin B

Reaction score
That's awesome! Thanks for the information. Is that a factory turbo manual? Just curious on the year since there's a note about the Lightning in there, assuming '93 or later?

What's the difference between the first photo and second photo? If I'm looking right, the first one says 3.55-6,300 4.10-11,300 and the second photo for the same combination says 3.55-6,300 4.10-10,000.

It looks like I'll be needing a 4.10 rear to pull the weights I want. I was looking at trailers in the 7,000 lb UVW category, putting me around 8,500-9k gross; however, I might need to revaluate that.. might be a little close for comfort if we do any mountain driving.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why crew cab weights are less trailer weight than supercab? and why manual trans Is lower weight rating than auto? And big blocks are higher capacity then diesel? I thought manual diesel was supposed to be the best ? It looks like big block auto would be best in theory there?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why crew cab weights are less trailer weight than supercab? and why manual trans Is lower weight rating than auto? And big blocks are higher capacity then diesel? I thought manual diesel was supposed to be the best ? It looks like big block auto would be best in theory there?

Been relooking at this n was thinking the same thought manuals where a lil heavier n would pull more n my 93 7.3 n/a weighs in at just under 9k lbs n had 5th set up before I got it so I know it can haul a 20ft cattle trailer full with about 15 head of adult cattle

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I believe the differences in ratings between SuperCab and Crew Cab is the weight of the truck. A crew cab will weigh more than a supercab

The difference between Manual and Auto is the "torque multiplication" of the automatic. Not saying that and automatic can actually tow more, but that is what I've read in the past.

The difference between the 460 and the IDI. I think the 460 had higher ratings (Tq/HP) than a factory IDI did. Again, not 100% sure. But remember what they did with the Factory IDI Turbo and the PSD, they de-rated and choked the IDI so it wouldn't outshine the fancy new PSD.

Before the mid to late 90's when the PSD, 6BT and 6.5 Turbo became popular, gassers were the Bread and Butter for the big 3. The diesels were for a "select few" that knew what potential they had, but for most, the gassers were preferred.

In that era, the US Vehicle Market was just coming out of the GM 5.7 Diesel "nightmare" of the late 70's and early 80's. So for the general public, the diesel was just a problem. Why would I want an stinky, noisy, slow, "problem ridden" diesel, when I can get a good old reliable big block gasser....... plus, gas and diesel prices were lower then, so the lower fuel economy wasn't an issue......

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's driving our 83 F-150 and 86 E-150, being able to fill both tanks for less than $40, fuel economy wasn't as much as a concern as it is now..... Heck, even the "econo-boxes" of the time only got into the 20's or low 30's.......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The engine/trans/rear end has an exact total capacity. The more cab space you have the more weight you are carrying which subtracts from that total capacity.

People look at this chart and say the e40d must be a stronger trans because it’s rated for more weight, this is not true. Just like Scott said, the zf5 has a taller overdrive gear than the e40d, so there is more mechanical advantage acting on the zf5 than the e40d, just like having 3.55 instead of 4.10s. It doesn’t mean that a 3.55 ring gear is weaker than a 4.10 because it’s rated for less, it just means the 3.55 is under more stress because of its mechanical advantage factor.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that the manufacture's rating is just that... a rating. Doesn't mean that's really what your experince will be.

Interestingly in 85 they specified GCW, not towing capacity. IIRC idi's were rated in the 13-15k GCW with the 460 being about 1000 lb higher. GCW is a better way to look at since this eliminates the variable of truck weight - I expect there's a footnote somewhere on the above tables that it's only valid for a stripped completely empty vehicle and anything loaded on the truck reduces the trailer capacity.

I've towed a decent amount with a 10-16k trailer both gooseneck and bumper pull, and my $0.02 is that 10-12 is a good max for these trucks. Gn definetely tows better, but the diesel is heavy enough on the front that I didn't have any issues with handling pulling a 14k BP, even with north of 2000 lb tongue weight. Granted, this is towing equipment and similiar low CG loads, so with a camper or similiar that's high and has a large wind area you might have more issues.

IMHO 3 things matter for towing capacity:

1) Torque to start from a stop on a steep grade. More of a manual trans than auto issue, and rear axle ratios will matter here. 4wd will help here as well. This is where you get the difference between auto & manual rating in the chart.

2) Stopping ability. Probably the biggest safety factor. Remember that trailer brakes are not fail safe, so you really need to be able to stop with just the tow rig. All of the idi's are the same brake system (ex F450) for 250 & 350, so the 350 doesn't buy you anything. Hydroboost swap helps, but still limitted by brake surface area. I've definetely had some scary moment towing heavy and standing on the petal praying she'll stop in time...

3) Control. Simply put, having enough weight on the tow rig vs the trailer that you can keep in control especially in cross wind, tire blow out, etc. GN will help here, but at the end of the day it's still truck size vs trailer size. Duals help some for stability and ride but aren't going fix everything.

Note what's not on the list... power. Everyone focuses on power, but IMHO it's the least important. You can safely get up a hill at 15 mph..... if you can't stop it's a whole different story.

Put all that together, and 10-12k is a nice spot for a solid rig.

Last edited:

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) Stopping ability. Probably the biggest safety factor. Remember that trailer brakes are not fail safe, so you really need to be able to stop with just the tow rig. All of the idi's are the same brake system (ex F450) for 250 & 350, so the 350 doesn't buy you anything. Hydroboost swap helps, but still limitted by brake surface area. I've definetely had some scary moment towing heavy and standing on the petal praying she'll stop in time...

Note what's not on the list... power. Everyone focuses on power, but IMHO it's the least important. You can safely get up a hill at 15 mph..... if you can't stop it's a whole different story.

Couldn't agree more. I'll take breaks over horsepower anyday. My n/a 4.10 geared is plenty strong for me. Hydroboost is way higher on my bucket list than a turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online