brick nose to OBS heater control swap?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
Since the tech sticky is closed, can anyone tell me if there is anything but esthetic and ergonomic difference? Something like the ability to run the heat w/o having to have the fan on? More fan speeds? Better temperature control?
Many thanks!

as far as I know it does the same thing just looks different. if you are savvy enough im sure you could change some wiring and vacuum lines to make it do what you want. when I swapped it I just made it do same as before.

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
Since the tech sticky is closed, can anyone tell me if there is anything but esthetic and ergonomic difference? Something like the ability to run the heat w/o having to have the fan on? More fan speeds? Better temperature control?
Many thanks!
FWIW my 87 has a heater control unit with AC and an off position on the fan control, no panel/floor mix option though. But may be an easier option for you, it looks like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT... I should add, I much prefer this setup to what's in my 89 as it gives more control where I want it. Personally I don't like hot air in my face at all and interior condensation is always an issue so in the winter a floor defrost mix is my default position. I very much like being able to turn the fan off. And last but not least the air source controls being separate is great.

Last edited: