Brass injector return caps

DaveC

Reaction score
Hi all--

Has anyone recently gotten a set of the brass injector return caps from "Dale at Dregs Diesel"?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've emailed him a couple of times recently, but haven't heard anything. Not sure if he's still in business supplying these, or if my messages have gotten through, &c.

thanks--

--dave

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I remember seeing those like 8 years ago, but opted to go with the plastic ones, cause if one splits, good luck finding another replacement on the road.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don`t you contact him with a private message through the Forum?

Here is what he originally posted when he presented these to the Forum.

Goat

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, they're around $200 and you'll be getting plastic caps anyways with the o-rings. Not economical to make it worth it, and they have to come out for o-rings anyways. I'd just stick with the plastic.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to buy an install kit to get the o-rings. You can buy a package of them at McMaster-Carr.

Correct, seen too many times when some one has a leaker, they buy a whole new return line kit.
A bag of rings from Mcmaster-Carr are probably around $10 with today`s prices. And I think you get 50.

You can get a lot of mileage out of reusing the old caps.

I have some I dragged home from PNP that looked pretty good.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH, I see now rereading it.
Sentence structure is important for us of Farts to understand. ;Really

OH well, they are purdy anyway.

Goat

DaveC

Reaction score
Okay thanks everybody so far. Speaking of McMaster-Carr - one of my favorite places to buy stuff from, they are so excellent to deal with: What is the exact part number / O-ring dimensions spec to get from them, for Viton O-rings for the 7.3L IDI injectors? By the way, there seem to be two O-rings per injector cap from pictures that I've seen. Are the two O-rings per injector the same, i.e., you just need sixteen O-rings of one single type?

--dave

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I got myself an old idi to burn the black diesel. Despite not needing to fix whats not broken my adhd mind is always trying to reinvent the wheel.
I've been digging for months and I've seen the brass cap and the billet r/d rails but has anyone found steel return lines that fit or could fit with a little tweaking? Or has anyone tried. Something like this kabota return line.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That steel return line looks like what my 82 Datsun KC with the Nissan SD22 Diesel engine uses.
No way it would work on the IDI Injectors, top of the Injectors are made different.

It is a better set up than what IHC/Ford uses on their engines.

Never had a leakage problem in 30 years and 483K miles with the Nissan return set up. It also does not use rubber "O" Rings.
You do have to be careful when taking off the Injector caps that that ring part does not rotate or you could kink the metal tube.
I usually held it with a pair of plyers.

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What about using a tube cutter and a flair tool to separate the sections, then running rubber hose in between like the stock system?