brand new napa starter not engaging flywheel

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my crappy reman autozone starter was starting to crank slow intermitily cause its a reman autozone peice of junk so because i did not want to get stranded if it completely gave up i went to napa and bought a true brand new starter and installed it today and i went to crank the truck over to make sure it would work and it spins fast and the gear moves on the shaft cause i can hear it hit the flywheel but it wont engage to spin the engine over i tried tightening the bolts more and the same thing. i do not have a top bolt in it cause its impossible to get to but i have had it like that for almost a year and a half so i dont think thats the issue. the starter is the same shape and size as the old one. is it even possible to "clock" the starter differently since there is not slider holes and if i would be able to clock it differently would that fix it the issue?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You couldn't clock the starter any differently because I'm pretty sure that the nose cone wouldn't fit inside the bellhousing on the transmission. Crawl underneath your truck and use the palm of your hand to bump the front of the starter. Hit it upwards fairly hard. This is to help push the starter into position. I do that on mine after I tighten the top bolt just to be sure. The upper bolt is there to pull the top of the starter all the way against the mounting surface. It's difficult to get the starter in the proper position with just the lower two bolts. Since it's so long, the front of the starter likes to droop down which pulls the top bolt hole away from it's mounting surface. You really should have the top bolt in the starter despite how it performed in the past. A Nippendenso style starter will also help to minimize this tendency since they are shorter and lighter than the Mitsubishi style that you probably have now.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure what style it is, silver aluminum ends and a black middle section, i will try to go to the hardware store tommorow and get some new mounting bolts and a jar of antiseize. the one bolt head is starting to round off a little bit. i plan on getting grade 8 bolts cause i want to be able to tighten them alot. im going to use your method of hitting it when i tighten it, hopefully that will fix it and i might try to get the top bolt in.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nippendenso style starter
You must be registered for see images attach

Mitsubishi style starter
You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are headed to the hardware store anyway... get a stud and a nut. Put it in the top bold hole. Makes it easier to install, and then thread the nut on to make it tight... that’s what I do when I have to replace the starter.....

Black dawg

Reaction score
I don't use the napa new starters anymore.....had to much trouble with them. One even ground up a flexplate for me.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put in new grade 8 bolts and lock washers with antisieze and i got it really tight by doubling up my wrench. the starter engages now so the truck starts. time will tell if it stays tight or not but i am confidant in the starting being good because i have had lots of good luck with napa parts

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed a starter at the 2017? Rally in KY. Replaced it with a Napa reman. They initially gave me a powerstroke starter which will bolt but won’t engage. Sounds like that’s not your issue. When I first installed my original starter I actually had to sand the engine plate to relieve it a bit. Starter wouldn’t actually slide in and bottom out. Had to beat it back out with a hammer. So beware that it may just be super tight. I think that’s what you’ve found. Definitely do the stud on top with a lock washer or lock nut. I like the lock washer here a little better because it will spin free after a couple turns coming out. About 12” of extension will get you passed the end of the starter.

Just thought I’d share.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They gave you the wrong starter. PSD starter looks the same, but the gear doesn't stick out as far.
Have them run the part numbers again.
I just went through this with my parts store. They kept saying "that is a 7.3 starter" I finally had to run the part numbers for them after they complained to me that I was returning starters that worked fine.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gave you the wrong starter. PSD starter looks the same, but the gear doesn't stick out as far.
Have them run the part numbers again.
I just went through this with my parts store. They kept saying "that is a 7.3 starter" I finally had to run the part numbers for them after they complained to me that I was returning starters that worked fine.
I know. I figured it out on the first try at firing. LOL it took two tries to get one that worked. Not for very long mind you. That’s why I have a powermaster on it now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01