Brand new injectors o rings leaking

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My head gasket set that i bought from auto zone came with injector o-rings, my old ones didnt leak but i thought what the hell why not change them, so i put the brand new ones from autozone in, and 3 injectors are leaking!!!! I mean i didnt do nothing wrong all the caps are good, i have even pulled them off and the o ring looks perfect cookoo

Last edited by a moderator:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case you didn't pick up on this from the hundreds of posts that talk about return lines, but re-using caps is NOT recommended. That's why every return line kit includes them. If you do so, you do it with the understanding that they may leak even with new O-rings. I thought this was a well understood principle, but appearantly not. The caps deform through temperature cycles, and are more or less moulded to the o-rings during use. Even disturbing an existing cap (just twisting it, bending it, or perhaps even looking at it wrong) can cause a leak. The operative word is CAN. Messing with an existing cap is done at your own peril. Don't expect new O-rings to save the day, because they probably will not.

zpd307

Reaction score
i dont care for the return line system on these motors..... i put new return lines, caps and o rings on when i put in new injectors and they all leaked from the get go...i tried several times to fix the problem and finally gave up. :mad:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have had issues finally last year with o-rings leaking too. My problem turned out to be a suspect kit I bought... :mad: Sooo... I bought two kits from Russ... I got the viton o-rings and guess what.... No more leaks. I really think some of these felpro gasket sets have a sub standard set of o-rings in them.. And that some ebay sellers are getting a bunch of them too and selling to owners like me..... Also its very true about not reusing the caps. I usually take an exacto knife and scrape the bottom of the caps. The edge has a tiny bit of casting flash on it thats kinda smart. Clean that off so the caps slide easier over the cap edge and they o-rings will hold up better. Much less chance of them getting cut passing the sharp edges....

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Yep these return lines are -Lame

It would be best to get new caps and o-rings now. I can usually get by without replacing the caps. I just clean the caps thoroughly with lots of soap and water to get rid of all the gunk and smooth out any rough edges. I'm not recommending doing so... I get the o-rings from work for free and i'm too much of a cheap ass to buy the kit :sly

Use lots of Petroleum Jelly. Nothing else works as good as this stuff does. If you don't use anything there is a good chance they will tear because of that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In cases where someone replaces all the goodies, and still has leaks, the usual suspect is that they are not actually on all the way, even though the installer thinks they are. There should be a visible and obvious gap between the top of the cap and the bottom of the injector line nut. If they are touching, or the gap is not easily noticed, then they are not on right. Failure to use lubrication during install is also another way to set yourself up for failure.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
REALLY?!:eek: Wow, I guess I got extremely lucky.. I just cleaned mine well and when I reinstalled them I used vaseline to help them slide into place because the fit was very tight. None of them have leaked a drop, same for the return lines.. Since I didn't get a "kit" from anywhere and 3/16" i.d. diesel hose is a little hard to locate for some reason, I went with yellow transparent Tygon (3/16" i.d.) which fits very tightly over the barbs on the caps or olives or whatever you call them, so tightly in fact that clamps were rendered unnecessary. Those connections have not leaked a drop either.
David, did the new o-rings you got have as thick of a cross section as the old ones? The reason I ask is because my caps were REAL tight to push on and wouldn't have gone on at all without the vaseline and some twisting...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I dont know how many times i have reused these caps from russ and never had a leak, and just for an experiement today i changed the o-rings on #2 injectors with some unknown milage ones off of this parts truck, and guess what? it stopped leaking! so i guess its the junk o-rings autozone has in the headgasket kits, kinda makes me wonder about my headgaskets now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88