Brake line size?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How thick is the brake line that's on driverside frame rail on a 1991 f250HD 4x4 extended cab? Mine busted and I'm looking at this to replace it 4LifetimeLines 25' 3/16 True Copper-Nickel Alloy Non-Magnetic Brake Line Replacement Tubing Coil and Fitting Kit, Inverted Flare https://a.co/d/9Qoffpf

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Not sure on size others will know.

You will also need a flare kit to finish the line ends if you do not have one.

Auto parts store may loan/rent one but likely worn.

Practice a couple times on the left over line if you have not done flares before, a little practice will help.

Here is a flare kit on Amazon that appears popular

I have one of these, it is awesome!

You will also want flare wrenches if you do not have them. (So you do not strip the brake line flare nuts.) I have the Husky ones from Home Depot but here are some popular ones on Amazon.

46Gunz

Reaction score
Just did some brake line work on my 1991 F250 recently and I used the 3/16" copper nickel line. Its way easier to work with than the steel lines.
I used this flare tool... easy to use when the line is on the truck.

Also used these stainless steel flare nuts.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did some brake line work on my 1991 F250 recently and I used the 3/16" copper nickel line. Its way easier to work with than the steel lines.
I used this flare tool... easy to use when the line is on the truck.

Also used these stainless steel flare nuts.

Sweet and that's the same line material I used, 35$ shipped from Amazon can't beat it. How long of a job was it to do? Trucks currently at my bosses house as he's got all the good stuff so I can't go out and inspect it

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my rear brake lines last fall with the exact 4lifetimelines brake lines you asked about. It was very easy to bend and flare. I used a cheapo flaring kit from Amazon, and I got a tube bender and small pipe cutter from lowes. I used a cheap countersink drill bit to chamfer the inside of the tube, and a hand file to deburr the outside after the cut. I had never done it before, but there are some great YouTube videos on how to do it.

My only complaint about the copper nickel line is that I was under my truck yesterday and saw that there was noticeable corrosion on it already. You might think about spraying a coat of paint on it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that you’ll also want to pick up an assortment of flare nuts, the truck uses different sizes in different places. All 3/16 line, the nuts are just different.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I checked my notes, and I installed this brake line on December 10, about 6 months ago. I recommend putting a coat of paint on it to slow down the corrosion.

46Gunz

Reaction score
I did the front line that goes behind the cross member and the rear axle sections. I would guess an hour or two for part running down the frame rail. There are a few things that you will have to work around.

Rock Harvey, that's not something I was expecting to hear. I guess I will be going back under the truck soon. I have been using black cosmoline a lot on this truck. I like it so far. I have been spraying some rusty areas to see if it will stop or slow the process. Its only been a few months, so still watching and waiting.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I checked my notes, and I installed this brake line on December 10, about 6 months ago. I recommend putting a coat of paint on it to slow down the corrosion.
I'm about to wire bush whole underside after I weld a few floor panels in and I'll make sure to cost my brake lines in the frame paint then.
Crazy what a leaking windshield and rain gutters do....cab is in rough shape but frame is overall great shape for age and miles

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HF has this Brake line kit, similar to the Amazon one
if you don`t want to wait for shipping.

Goat