bought a 6.0 today. should i be worried?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
clogged up oil cooler resulting in a beginning to fail EGR cooler. time for an egr delete and delete the factory oil cooler and replace it with an air-oil oil cooler. bullet proof diesel makes a really nice unit.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
LMAO, putting gauges in your truck so it doesn't grenade the engine will void the warranty..................time for you to find a new dealer fo do any work on the truck that you can't do. if that is a possibility.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
thats exactly what i thought... The warranty isn't through the dealer, its through a separate company. The dealer was the one that warned me about the gauges, he told me to make sure it wasn't in when the inspector comes. I would love to have them install a delete while they're at it but i don't think the warranty company would allow that lol. Im perfectly capable of doing it all myself (have my associates degree in diesel technology and worked at detroit for a year), but since i have the warranty why not use it.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Ok so after a long battle the warranty company, they arnt going to warranty the work. They said that the oil cooler is more of the cooling system than oil system, I tried explaining that it was a very key part to the oiling system untill i was blue in the face but they wouldn't listen. So now im attempting to cancel the warranty to get my 2100$ back. I also have a 250$ diagnostic fee from ford, that i didn't learn anything i didn't already know.

So now i get to put a egr delete and new oil cooler in this weekend. Question is should i just buy this whole kit from sinister? http://www.amazon.com/Solution-Powe...1361234485&sr=8-4&keywords=6.0+egr+delete+kit

Or save money buy buying this egr delete kit http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Diesel...361234694&sr=8-1&keywords=6.0+egr+delete+kit" and this oil cooler kit http://www.amazon.com/Ford-3C3Z-6A642-CA-KIT/dp/B005OD7G7S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2" and intake gaskets.

Im going to put a sinister coolant filter on it, but what do you guys use to flush the system?
Also would it be worth it to get the hpop updated fitting kit, or does my '05 already have it?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
How long do you plan on keeping the truck?

If it is more than a couple years then get the bullet proof diesel air-oil, oil cooler and be done with your oil cooler issues once and for all. you also wouldn't "need" the coolant filter then but would still be a decent idea.

you are in there. would be a GREAT idea to do all the upgrades to the fuel/HPOP system now. That is the STC fitting. the update kit reverts back to the '03-'04 design.

the bullet proof cooler is expensive but doing the factory cooler time and time again will add up and it is pretty involved.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Good lord that was a job! 22 hours spent working on it, with 4 guys too. :eek: Wasn't hard, just time consuming. Good thing i had a mbrp 4" turbo back kit ready to go in, because i ended up cutting the stock downpipe out to make room to get the up pipes off. Anyway here's the results.
You must be registered for see images attach

I cleaned the cooling system using vc-9, that stuff is GREAT!! Sucks that you have to take out the starter just to get to the right side block drain though. Added the sinister coolant filter too, so the cooling system will be solid now. I do plan on doing the blue spring mod, aftermarket intake, and a custom sct tune. Anyway im glad i have my truck back shes running great, and now sounds great! :sly. Also discovered i have a flip down ball in the bed, a new bed liner was covering it. :confused:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so i take it you kept with the factory oil cooler(style)?

on the intake, i have read that the stock intake is about the best filtering you can get and is good until 500hp. i have not seen anything to prove that claim, nor have i seen anything to dis-prove that claim. personally until you actually start adding power i would keep the factory intake.

did you go muffler and kitty cat delete on that exhaust?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
You should be worried. When I was running wrecker, I towed 6.0's, ten to one, over ANY other diesel pickup.
The service writers, at the local Ford dealer, would say, "Put it out back, with the rest of the junkers."

Not trying to start an argument. Just stating the facts.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Yea factory style cooler, the bullet proof was way to costly for me at the moment. As for the intake, I just have a feeling the stock filter is going to be really expensive. Heck just the fuel filters were 80$! yep full mbrp 4" with t304ss 5" tip. Im not going for high horsepower just fuel mileage and reliability. You seem to know alot about the 6L. The old hpop screen was shot, pieces of the screen were missing.
You must be registered for see images attach

I searched down the oil passage looking for the pieces but didn't find any. The thing runs excellent, so I think it happened along time ago and maybe the injectors were replaced?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You seem to know alot about the 6L.

haha, thanks! i just read about them on the forums. seems like the more i hear people bash them the more i like them. i really want one some day.

yeah that screen is in pretty tough shape.

btw, don't be worried about the 6.0l. you have a good monitor for it, you got a new oil cooler, a coolant filter system, and an egr delete. just read, read, read, read, then do some more reading about them and you will be also set. they are not nearly as bad as people say they are. people don't like what they don't know, simple as that.

BTW, did i mention it is a good idea to read about the 6.0l? LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online