bought a 6.0 today. should i be worried?

iowaSVT

Reaction score
As title says, i bought a 05 250 today. I was driving home from Minnesota and some idiot was driving slow in the left lane, well 3 miles later i said enough was enough and flew around the right side. Well i got past the car and the boost just dropped and the limp mode light came on. I was able to drive the whole way home just fine in limp mode (didnt want to shut it off in fear of it not starting). I shut it off and re started it, no light and now i have 20 lbs of boost. I tried to read the codes with my sct tuner for my focus but it didn't come up with anything. Should i be worried? Also it takes a bit of cranking to start warm, is that bad? imput is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Duncan

ps, saw a frozen lake with people ice fishing on it during the test drive and i asked myself why not? the ice was nearly 2 ft thick and there was already a 1ton chebby on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice truck. You need to acquire a auto enginuity scanner.
I'm not too sure, but the 6.0 may go into "limp mode" when it sees overboost. When you passed the car, did you have your foot through the firewall?

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Thats exactly what i thought, but wanted to ask the experts lol. Yeah i had it matted pretty good. Thanks for the reply man.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Usually they overboost when the Turbo's VG veins get gummed up. When driving give it like half throttle or a secon or two and then let off real fast, can you hear the turbo making a "woosh woosh woosh" noise? Two ways to clean up the veins, drive it like he'll for a while, so high egt's cook all the carbon off it, or pull the turbo and clean. I would find a trailer, and a hill and go up it a dozen times, not fast enough to overboost, stay around 20-22psi. Hopefully it will help.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. Ive been pretty ******* it the past couple days playing in the snow. I haven't had it go into limp mode again so i hopefully that's what it was. Next weekend im trailering my '83 back to my place (3hrs) so it'l get worked again. Im a little concerned about my fuel mileage though, all highway im only getting 13.7 mpg (empty). Also i noticed my coolant level was low so i topped it off and put a new cap on it. Haven't noticed it move yet but its concerning. My edge cts should be here tomorrow so i can check my engine temp and oil temp delta. How picky is ford on egr cooler deletes? I really want to put one on, but i do have a 100,000 mile extended warranty and would hate to void that.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never knew its possible to get warranty on not brand spankin new vehicles....i learn something new everyday from this forum :hail

Btw nice looking truck iowa

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you should be worried. Check into a Psych Center for treatment ASAP!

Good luck with the truck, start saving now for EGR Delete or bullet proof EGR Cooler and oil cooler.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Whats your cruising boost level? Low MPG could mean the turbo's veins are stuck in the closed position (really good spool up, high boost, high cruising boost), but it creates a lot of backpressure which will really hurt the mpg. At 70-75mph in mine, I see around 4-5psi on flat ground (60* outside)

iowaSVT

Reaction score
Yep im good till 220,000 miles, or 5 years haha, though they took all my trade in money for the warranty. Ive been convinced to not put a egr delete until the warranty's up, but i am going to install a 4" turbo back exhaust. Im using the CTS just for gauges, later on ill maybe get a sct. The boost level is pretty low at cruising speed iirc, but i dont remember what it exactly is (Im working out of town at the moment). It never goes above 22psi, besides once when i was going up a small hill it climbed to 28. Another question, where to install the egt probe? left bank or right bank? Im guessing at the rear of the manifold also.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Left bank, rear of the manifold. Just make sure your Delta's are good, otherwise your EGR cooler is on borrowed time. Ours had a 12* delta, and the EGR cooler went in December.

iowaSVT

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

well looks like ive got a 34* delta, but the coolent temp never came up past 181 (t-stat stuck open?). What is your normal oil temp? I talked to ford today and its scheduled to go in Monday morning. I told them to check the egr cooler as well since i have a slight coolant loss.

I was talking to the tech and he said they have inspectors come in from the warranty company's and inspect the vehicles. He said to take my edge out even though im only using it for gauges, and that it was a good thing i haven't drilled and tap'ed for my egt probe because both would easily void my warranty...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wow. That's real bad IIRC.
But at least your taking the right steps and getting it fixed.
I probably wouldn't drive it til then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online