Bolt in seat options

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This probably was answered before but there is so many nice seats at the salvage yard near me but they are in extended cab trucks, I know the floor is different but how much work would it take to make them work in my truck? Also I got a grey seat with head test and fold out center arm rest only issue is thats is grey and my interior is blue but blue seems to be "rare" around me lol how bad is grey gonna be in my blue and black interior?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I've been through some of this the hard way so here goes. Junkyard sold me ext cab seat for regular cab and then wouldn't take them back so I got educated. Had to find a junk seat to get the "pan"

Crew cab and standard non extended cab seats bolt down the same exact way. The seat "pan" that bolts to the floor and the seats / console bolts to it mentioned above is the key. This also applies to the rear crew cab seats, just consider them front Reg/Ext cab seats.

Extended or Super Cab seats are different due to the need to access the back seat. I BELIEVE this applies to Bronco seats as well. They will not bolt into the 2 other cabs directly.
On the 40 20 40 set up for a extended cab, the left and right seats themselves will bolt onto the std/crew pan. I have done this. However the center console is shaped different on the bottom. I believe (not tried just looked at it) that the metal of the bottom of the console could be reworked to get the SC console mounted up on the Reg/Ext cab "pan". SO, if you have a "pan" for Reg/Ext cab, the SEATS from and Ext cab will work IF MOUNTED ON THE Reg/Ext "pan".
I have a 96 Ext cab that has the Bronco style set up with 2 "captains chairs" and a console you can not sit on. I have never studied if they would fit on the "pan". These brown seats with no tears are for sale if someone in central Calif wants em. No I'm not shipping them. I MIGHT have time to take em out lol.
The 40 20 40 seats, for me give MORE legroom in a std cab. Have one from a 96 in the 86, made it way more livable for a 6'2" guy.

My current seat plan for the 96 crew cab is to get the seat for a luxury level big rig and discard the air suspension and mount it on the "pan" You can get multiple lumbar, massage, and many other. Getting harder to do long miles as old injuries add up, so it is worth the $ to me. We'll see after the engine is in and dialed.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Garbage_Mechan so if I go extended cab captains chairs would the outside bolts bolt into my car cabs bench seat outer two hole and then I'd have to drill the other two inside ones maybe? I can get a perfect set of clean captains chairs for 75$ with a center counsel but from what you say the counsel isn't bolt in but I'd be open to using a "custom" fitted one from any other vehicle in the yard lots to choose from my main concern Really would be seats setting down at a awkward angle. I currently picked up one nice grey bench seat for free that will bolt in front or rear but if I can get some nice single chairs up front that would be more ideal the bench I got has the airbags for lower back support I'm gonna wire up also

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The answer is "NO"... the "captains chairs" ... which I take you mean Ford 40/20/40 seating set [yes ??? ] will not match up to bolt where your bench seat bolts.

You will need one of the "trays" to convert from bench seat to "captains chairs"
If you don't use a tray, your seat will NOT set centered on steering wheel and your door won't close. Plus.. your seat position just won't be right.

If you are talking about using some kind of aftermarket chair, like for a van conversion .. you are on your own there, good luck.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my buddies extend cab and another extended cab at the junk yard both have two captains chairs and a center counsel no middle seat like a bronco basically. They look like they belong to those truck but maybe not? It's not a 40-20-40 In either extended cabs in those cases. The other extended cabs there have 40-20 and the center split benches. I was hoping maybe it's not too hard to go from extended cab seats front seats into crew cab?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen those kinds of seats come in an ext cab, they probably got swapped in by a po

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had one that had a factory bronco style setup, in fact I still keep the center console I took out for a cupholder in one of my regular cabs haha. I don't think those inner mounts will bolt to a factory crew cab pattern though. The extended cab had a different floor pan style in the middle I believe

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Alaskaman

Reaction score
I've been following this thread and I would like clarification on the Floor Pan. Is it an actual piece of metal that bolts to the floor? Meaning a bench seat and the 40-20-40 seat have different floor pans that bolt in?

Thank you.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO....
The "floor pan" is actually an "adapter pan" which permits you to bolt in a 40/20/40 seat set in the same space a bench seat takes.

You bolt the buckets to the "adapter pan" and it bolts to the floor using the same hole pattern your bench seat used... easy .. no fuss..