Blueish white smoke when accelerating

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck seems to omit a decent amount of blueish white smoke when I and accelerate medium to hard. Guessing the ip pump needs servicing and or the injectors need replacing. Sound accurate? Power seems fine but I’m not really sure exactly what it should feel like. I would say at 3000 rpm in fourth I’m going about 65 on flat...

thank you

nhwrench01

Reaction score
Others will give advice also, but id check for low coolant, low oil, dirty air filter?
have you had the truck long? how many miles on it?
You could try,( if coolant and oil are good) running a cleaner in the fuel for a while and see if it helps..

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, something I have felt with a few times, check your cdrv. My diaphragm has disappeared a time or two on different engines I have acquired and that caused some of my blue smoke. Just something to check.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, something I have felt with a few times, check your cdrv. My diaphragm has disappeared a time or two on different engines I have acquired and that caused some of my blue smoke. Just something to check.

I think you’re onto something with the CDR valve. Definitely noticed oil on the air cleaner and on the stud.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others will give advice also, but id check for low coolant, low oil, dirty air filter?
have you had the truck long? how many miles on it?
You could try,( if coolant and oil are good) running a cleaner in the fuel for a while and see if it helps..

I've had the truck for about 6 months. It's always done it but it does seem worse. Coolant is good, oil always seems to get low after a fair amount of miles. I've done fuel cleaners especially after replacing fuel filter a couple hundred miles ago I filled it with diesel kleen.

When you're referencing a disappearing diaphragm what exactly do you mean? I found a write up on replacing the CDR valve and I ordered the parts but they won't arrive until February 24th. Definitely oil leaking down the engine block out of it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a unknown mileage on your IP, odds are you would greatly increase response and power with a remanned injection pump and injectors at the same time.
with proper timing ive had friends take this advice and proclaim, "its an entirely different truck!"
www.russrepair.com sells quality, affordable pumps and injectors.
i would check the CDR also

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
When you're referencing a disappearing diaphragm what exactly do you mean? I found a write up on replacing the CDR valve and I ordered the parts but they won't arrive until February 24th. Definitely oil leaking down the engine block out of it.[/QUOTE]

There is a diaphragm in the cdrv. If it tears, or blows completely out in my cases, the canister no longer keeps the oil down from being sucked into the intake. Blue smoke usually means burning oil. Your diesel engine will consume that like fuel

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a unknown mileage on your IP, odds are you would greatly increase response and power with a remanned injection pump and injectors at the same time.
with proper timing ive had friends take this advice and proclaim, "its an entirely different truck!"
www.russrepair.com sells quality, affordable pumps and injectors.
i would check the CDR also

Yeah, mileage is unknown and I've been thinking about replacing the IP and the injectors just to start fresh. My only hesitation has just been the cost... $1500 for injectors and IP. I think I once came across a video of someone taking apart their IP to clean it...

Fort Ford

Reaction score
So with my truck I had to replace the CDR, and that helped. But after awhile the white smoke got worse. Turns out my IP was thrashed. It ran fine at first, probably low on power but I didn't notice cuz first time with this engine/truck. But after hauling some weight and putting it to work it got worse to the point where I couldn't even go up a hill. Sent it off to the resident expert on this site to get IP rebuilt and injectors done. Injectors needed a little work and the pump had to get sleeved it was so worn out. White smoke is a pretty tell-tale sign of IP/Injectors from my research/experience. The bluish smoke could be CDR or other crankcase pressure issues, if you aren't having any issues with excessive blow-by. Those are my thoughts!

I don't think cleaning IP has much merit but I'm no expert. Hit up Russrepair linked already in this thread and he will hook you up with what you need. It is not wasted money because you'll need that service done anyway eventually, it's a guarantee. Run some good quality diesel treatment and that rebuilt IP will last you forever in this truck.

*edit another thing to check is that the return lines could be leaking fuel and that could be washing old oil down the back of your block. My CDR was definitely leaking, but so were my return lines but it just looked like an oil leak because of how much sludge it washed down.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mileage is unknown and I've been thinking about replacing the IP and the injectors just to start fresh. My only hesitation has just been the cost... $1500 for injectors and IP. I think I once came across a video of someone taking apart their IP to clean it...

thats for just a stock IP. its 2k just for a hot injection pump, and another 5 for injectors.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*edit another thing to check is that the return lines could be leaking fuel and that could be washing old oil down the back of your block. My CDR was definitely leaking, but so were my return lines but it just looked like an oil leak because of how much sludge it washed down.

Good idea but I did just replace the return lines and actually got them from Russ. I'll contact him about the IP and see where it takes me.

thats for just a stock IP. its 2k just for a hot injection pump, and another 5 for injectors.

I think stock IP from Russ was about $1000. Whats a "hot IP"?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the truck, definitely look into a pump and injectors. But you might want to do a compression check and leak down test. I just went thru the " my truck blows smoke on hard acceleration or going up steeps" blues. I replaced my pump, and injectors and that didn't fix the issue. I did a compression test and had all the cylinders around 475psi except for one. Did a leak down test and I could hear air passing thru the exhaust manifold. That was on the low cylinder. Turns out I had valve recession and bad guides. Had the heads totally rebuilt- new valves, guides,etc. Truck is smoke free now. Just something to consider before you start throwing a ton of money at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight