Blue smoke and oil consumption... HELP

RetiringColt

Reaction score
When you had the turbo off did notice any oil leaks or residue in the compressor side? I'm not really familiar about the failure of a CDR valve. I would assume they would fail on an open and not a close. It might not hurt to pull a valve cove and have a peek at those valve seals. You could try to wiggle the valves that aren't on a cam lobe to see if the guides are worn? Don't know how tight you are on money, but valve cover gaskets shouldn't be too bad. Although I'd hate to tell you to spend money on something you don't need to. I'm sure someone ealse on here will have more input for you too.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you had the turbo off did notice any oil leaks or residue in the compressor side? I'm not really familiar about the failure of a CDR valve. I would assume they would fail on an open and not a close. It might not hurt to pull a valve cove and have a peek at those valve seals. You could try to wiggle the valves that aren't on a cam lobe to see if the guides are worn? Don't know how tight you are on money, but valve cover gaskets shouldn't be too bad. Although I'd hate to tell you to spend money on something you don't need to. I'm sure someone ealse on here will have more input for you too.
I bought valve cover gaskets yesterday. I will check them this weekend

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Laine D I'd honestly message @Thewespaul he is great is idi's n turbos also typ4 deal with turbos as well. My "93 is.n/a so im really no help but would think if you removed the turbo then reinstalled it was the oil consumption worse after that or the same

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the cdr and oil cane out, enough to make the sidewalk in front of my house look bad haha I feel like something might be up with the cdr...hmmmm

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had 2 broken rings and 2 exhaust valves were not seating. Most of the valve stem seals were also out of clearance. Full rebuild in the process

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had 2 broken rings and 2 exhaust valves were not seating. Most of the valve stem seals were also out of clearance. Full rebuild in the process
thanks for the update. glad to see someone pouring some love into an old truck.