block coolant drain locations/ access?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

In the process of yanking and changing my heater core and replacing all the hoses, which are original.

Since I am this far in, I want to do a total drain and replace on the coolant.

Can someone please give me some pointers on the exact location of the block coolant drains and how to get at them? I think I see a plug up behind the starter motor, but am hoping I don't need to yank the starter motor to get at it. If I do need to yank the starter, please tell me, and I appreciate any tips on pulling it.

On the driver's side, is there something up above and behind the oil cooler or what? How do I drain that side?

Thanks- need to get this all done this afternoon so I can roll as it is my one vehicle.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I just did all this. took me 3.5 weeks though.

heater core is really easy.

yes the passenger side block drain is behind the starter. i pulled mine out no problem. did not hurt the starter at all. i think i used a 9/16 socket, medium 3/8 extentsion, u-joint, and 3/8 ratchet to get the plugs out. when you pull them out be ready to move fast b/c the coolant rushes out in a hurry and i don't think you want to take a coolant bath. the drivers side plug is by the oil cooler it is really easy to get to and get out. i used rtv on each plug when i put them back in.

Good luck,

bugsy

Reaction score
There is another plug on the back of the oil cooler. I pulled it after the other two and didn't get near as much out, but it was still significant. I put drain petcocks in all three to replace the plugs. Getting the plugs out was not much problem. After being untouched for 30 years (1985 6.9l F250) the brass plugs backed out clean. I did use a new six point socket to avoid taking any unnecessary chances. I used teflon thread sealant being careful not to get any too far up the threads. I couldn't reach the passenger side plug (hands too big) and ended up taping the petcock to the end of a socket on a flex and extension. After they were started, I used a crow foot to tighten them down.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
i used rtv on each plug when i put them back in.

Unnecessary and may cause leaks later. The plugs are brass NPT so seal well to the iron block naked. A little antiseize will run them in smoother and prevent rusting the threads but is not necessary. Winterizing my boat every season and sometimes draining and block several times when pushing late in the season I remove and install brass drain plugs more often than I'd like. Poke in the hole with a pick when the flow slows in case there's rust or crud built up you'll be sure it's drained completely.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next to oil filter and behind starter.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts