Betsy the Worktruck

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been creeping on the site here for a while and decided to post my truck and get some opinions. In April I purchased an '85 F250 and its been love since. I travel loads for work and have been busy with the wife (some quote about life) so sadly Betsy has only been a side project. This week I have been on a jobsite in Seattle so have been driving her daily and have 2 main issues I would like some help with and want to make sure I am in the correct direction:

1- Headlight switch works however only my head lights come on. Brake lights, turn signals work front and rear. I swapped bulbs last night and found some weird clay in the sockets. Old grease? However new bulbs didn't fix the issue. Tonight I plan on picking up the switch to swap out before looking into the wiring. Switch plunger doesn't get warm on a long drive either.

2- Glow plug light comes on here an there when driving and I understand this is no bueno. New regulator or switch recommended?

Since purchasing I have replaced the filters and done a fluid change, replaced the front brakes, rebuilt the drums, and put some new batteries in there. Plan to restore everything to glory and put a flat bed on it. There is some oil on the right side of the engine that I am unsure of it's source, a bit of fuel around the solid line to #7 injector, and the rear tank hasn't been used in how long. Host of other small problems but I will tackle everything.

Cap and bed will be for sale to a good home and the current tan seats (need to figure out manufacturer) will be removed for a new red bench seat. I am not the greatest with wiring so anyone on the Olympic Peninsula who likes beer or who requires some welding is willing to help, let me know!
You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Always happy to see a bullnose still on duty. Your cab corners look really good, especially for a 4wd.

Regarding the "clay" in the plug sockets, you are correct. It's some kind of protective grease applied at the factory to prevent corrosion in the socket. It looks yucky, but it works.

Here's a diagram of the fuse block to see if your parking light fuse is out (courtesy of FTE.com). I'd have a look at that before replacing the switch.

For the glow plugs...well, it was never a great setup for that era to begin with. Most run a manual bypass switch. If you haven't checked them yet, look at what brand of glow plugs are in there. Motorcraft, or Beru (made in germany) part number ZD1a is the correct part number. Autolites and Champion brand or often found in order trucks because they are carried by most autoparts jobbers. Please replaced them immediately if you discover either of those brands. It will save you some grief later on.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks David,

It is in pretty good shape aside from the fenders and a tiny spot inside. Hood is fine for now, planning for a full paint job once the flat bed is on. I will definitely be doing the manual gp switch and I’ll check which ones are in. Checked the fuses and all of them are good. Think it’s the switch?

Also, some weird wiring under the center console maybe a block for the radio or trailer brake maybe? CB? Not sure.

I’ll be digging into it tonight and hope to have the lights working!

Thanks,

Mike

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the switch, you can sometimes fiddle with it until you get an intermittent light. If that happens then you have confirmation that the switch is bad. Either way, it's not a very expensive part, so it won't cost much to eliminate it from the equation.

Also, do the cluster illumination lights come on? Those should come on for parking light or headlight switch setting.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd replace both switches (wipers and lights) since neither one has the knob on it. If I had to guess on the mysterious "box" in your last picture, I'd say that it looks like something to run several low power accessories off of. It appears to be no danger at the moment since I assume that the large, red wire is to power the whole thing and appears to be cut.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly the dash does not illuminate. I only have the three lights on the glow plug display, and the top row with signals, seatbelt, etc.

Bronco, I have a switch waiting for me at Oriellys and will pick up the other as it is in stock. Just traced the wires and it is going to the seat that doesn’t work anyways. Any idea what model these are from? Lines are blue and white alternating on the seat.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bronco,

Just removed both switches. Wipers were fine but the headlight switch had some corrosion. Will cleaning it up and slathering it in grease work?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, need some help. Just replaced the switches and all light bulbs in the dash as well as the turn signal switch. I am still having the same issue. Dash doesn’t illuminate, tail lights and marker lights don’t work. Ideas?

Mike

edit- well I feel like an idiot, just found that the fuse was blown. Guess I’ll not listen to my buddy again and check for myself next time.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
edit- well I feel like an idiot, just found that the fuse was blown. Guess I’ll not listen to my buddy again and check for myself next time.

Been there done that myself. Pretty frustrating isn't it! Glad you got it!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I hope you used dielectric grease on there. That's what it's made for. I've used it on ATV spark plugs in order for them not to be affected by deep water.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bronco,

Just removed both switches. Wipers were fine but the headlight switch had some corrosion. Will cleaning it up and slathering it in grease work?

That center connector looks burned. Have you installed relays for your headlights, yet?

Bwahahaha! Love that bolt for a turn signal stem! You could find a much longer bolt for that, and almost have the stem back... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online