Best ip and injectors for towing?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to this guide... http://conestogadiesel.com/support/choosingtherightmoosepump.html
If you understand the relationship as it is discussed, you concluded that a Bull Moose was not recommended because of the absence of an intercooler. This is going to apply to you regardless of who's pump you buy, as physics apply to everything and it's not seleçtive. As has been stated, you have to buy what you need to achieve your goal. You have to get ALL the pieces. Buying 75% of what you need, will not result in achieving 75% of your goal. Don't mistake the lack of information or caution as an OK to use something.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved 15k/lb gross all day long with the F450 carrier. 19-21k/lb gross avoiding DOT like the plague. I did it for 20 years naturally aspirated. the secret? GEARING. 4.63 and 5.13 D80's and these truck pulls like noone's business. 4.56's in a F350 wilh turbo and IC will get you where you want to be. no problem at all. don't forget hydroboost brakes too.

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walker 21471 is the muffler i used. Its for 4” tube.

If you plan to put over 8,000lbs behind an idi frequently i would do 4.10 gears. I feel like we are fooling ourselves trying to pull 10-12k or more with 3.55 gears in these lower hp diesels. If we are going to pull big weight then set it up for pulling the weight.

My big enclosed trailer has really swayed my opinion about pulling. Why work the crap out of it with 3.55’s when 4.10’s would let it work easier.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So I should go 4.11 when I do the D60 swap...

Let the gears help you..... keep in mind, even when Ford increased the horse power in the diesels (03 6.0 ~325 @ crank) the common ratio is 3.73:1 and up. 3.73's are a nice "all around" gear. I can cruse 70mph ~ 2000rpm, but there is still a good bit of "umph" for towing.... When I had my ~5000lb camper, I could set the cruise at the speed limit and enjoy the drive.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive pulled car trailers with cars and tractors on them behind my crewcab for years with 3.55 gears. I can pull at stupid fast speeds under 7000lbs. Heavier or larger windmass is where i struggle.