Best Injector Cleaner???

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just asking, what is the BEST injector cleaner you have experienced.
Now > I'm talking about dumping the fuel filter and filling it with 'whatever-product' for a quick deep clean.
Does ATF work???
Not talking about preventative dosages of stuff like Power Service etc.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
ATF is what many use, fill it up start your truck for a minute or two, then let er sit overnight. The next day drive it like you stole it.

Ive also filled my filter with some howes, but doing that can get a little expensive.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ray I think any of the top names are good to go on a full fill on a fresh filter change beit Howes, Power Service, Stanadyne or ATF.
I personally have used all of the above except Howes and have noted improved performance filling a fresh filter and running it thru the system.
Especially on sticky metering valves on IP's.;Sweet

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm asking not suggesting, but what about Seafoam? that stuff worked some wonders on my Audi's and BMWs in terms of cleaning out the intake etc..
I know those cars aren't diesels, but I was wondering about it's cleaning ability on injectors.
Anyone ever tried it?

I was kind of thinking about running a can of Seafoam in my water **** kit every once in a while to keep the carbon buildup in the heads/intake down due to my WMO cocktails.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never inject Seafoam into the intake manifold. That is fuel and it will cause a runaway engine. Its like pouring fuel directlyinto the intake.... No governor to control feed. A member on the other site felt he could "clean up his intake" by pouring the foam directly into the running engine thru the intake... The engine took off screaming. Went way past the rpm limiter. He jumped off the bumper running for cover... Engine finally went back to idle but... He made a smelly in his overalls.....:angel: Pouring fuel thru the intake is not something we need to do.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Never inject Seafoam into the intake manifold. That is fuel and it will cause a runaway engine. Its like pouring fuel directlyinto the intake.... No governor to control feed. A member on the other site felt he could "clean up his intake" by pouring the foam directly into the running engine thru the intake... The engine took off screaming. Went way past the rpm limiter. He jumped off the bumper running for cover... Engine finally went back to idle but... He made a smelly in his overalls.....:angel: Pouring fuel thru the intake is not something we need to do.

Zoikes!!! Glad I asked, thx Gary from saving me from having to change my shorts unexpectedly! :rotflmao

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lubro moly makes a really strong diesel purge that I use from time to time and costs about $8.00 and now PS is selling white bottle fuel system cleaner here for 10.00 I may try that.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that ATF was no longer good for diesels since its been reformulated over the years. I had often dumped a quart in the tank on the old trucks back home when they ran low and I was heading to get fuel. No i hear its builds up carbon or somethign crazy like that. Any thoughts?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Lubro moly makes a really strong diesel purge that I use from time to time and costs about $8.00 and now PS is selling white bottle fuel system cleaner here for 10.00 I may try that.

DIESEL PURGE is AMAZING!

I always used it on my euro diesels. Haven't used it to clean my fuel system since everything is new and i treat my "fuel".

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arent you supposed to put SeaFoam in the tank? Would that still be not good?

Ive used Diesel Kleen with good results.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awe Cmon Help me out with tha ATF question guys? I think I might have been mislead, but i havent been able to find the answer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Diesel Purge is by far the best cleaner available. Stands to reason they come up with that stuff in Europe where 60% of the cars sold are diesels. If that stuff doesn't take care of your injector problems, you need new injectors.

Big thing though , you DO NOT put it in a filter or tank, you have to make up a rig to install the stuff. For a truck engine at least 3 -4 cans are needed, a 2 liter soda bottle will work. pour it all in the bottle and you wil need clear hose the size of your fuel line. Hook it straight to the lift pump inlet and the return line needs to bypass back to the bottle. You run out of the bottle until it is all gone It will take quite a while to burn all of it, but once you burn all of it, your injectors will be clean. If you just stick it in teh filter, most of it bypasses and goes back to the tank and dilutes

REgular use of Howes will keep the things in good shape. Power service is dry and rough on moving parts

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Awe Cmon Help me out with tha ATF question guys? I think I might have been mislead, but i havent been able to find the answer.

ATF is mostly used as a convenience by truck drivers to fill fuel filters when changing to keep prime, so they don't have to dip down in the tank and soak their arm in diesel and live with the stink for the next 300 miles. It's a lot easier to keep a few gal jugs of ATF in the side box. YEa it cleans a little bit, but at the rate it flows through to the bypass circuit , and gets diluted in the tank, it's not really going to do a heck of a lot of cleaning.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Another vote for Diesel Purge.
I used it on my Mercedes, recirculating as RLDSL above, suggested. It turned from clear to black in a few minutes showing me that it was cleaning something out of the fuel system.
I tried the same recirculating setup with Stanadyne stuff, and it never changed color at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01