banks y-pipe exhaust leak...

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Check out the attached picture. Can anyone guess what's wrong with it? :backoff

hint: the left side shown in picture is the one that leaks.

I wonder if it's a banks original or a hack job down at some exhaust shop. I shouldn't say hack job because someone did a really nice job...minus the problem. Either way it's leaking and banks will be getting a call. Hopefully they don't want too much cash for a replacement. I will have to compare that with having this one fixed locally. :draw

Attachments

• ypipe.jpg
    ypipe.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I had the same problem on a brand new kit. I just cut the pipe flipped it around & all was good. It sucks to have to do something like that with your new kit, but it was A sunday, so not one got ******* at at Banks. And, I forgot about it unitl I saw that picture. Maybe the pipe assembler @ Banks is Dyslexic.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with banks...
Y--pipe assembly: $360
Just thought I would pass it on…they ARE proud of their parts!

I need to find a new clamp since this one is essentially mangled. I will have to cut this one off since it is pinched on the pipe. I might cut the new one (if I can find one) in half and weld it instead of the pipe. Banks didn't want to give me a free one. :backoff

analog

Reaction score
fiverpuller said:

Yep, I paid $62 for the air inlet elbow. All in all, I spent over $200 at banks on a "few" missing parts from a turbo I bought on ebay. sheesh! :draw

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a Banks Y for the old Non-Waste gated version they would be willing to sell or loan so I can copy? I will apy shippping, and could put a deposit on it for your safety.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Yep Banks really likes their pipes. None of my local shops wanted to touch it. So me and Nick spent the better part of 8hrs making our own Y-pipe. It's not real pretty, but it works, and it can be done. We used 2 1/2" pipe to make up some area we would lose in bending.

Attachments

• 36593installed_2-med.jpg
    36593installed_2-med.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I can see me doing this in the future, my DP is getting weak, and I am shure that I will open a can of worms once I start messing with it. Especally when I get the Exhaust Brake.

GRuss, Do you think you improved air flow over the stock pipe?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Maybe a little bit. Not enough to make any noticable differance. The Stock Banks pipe was mandrel bent and we had to use the old style pipe bender and the bends reduced the diamater of the pipes so we figued with the restrictons we were back down to around two inch pipe. Th eworst part was tring to get an even flow at the Y-up pipe joint. Lots of welding and grinding.
Here's shot of the pipes just tacked together. That is most of the Y pipe we still had to add the exhaust pipe from the pass. side and welded it to the "crossover pipe" under the tranny. The section of pipe in my hand goes to the up pipe. I reused the upper part of my up pipe. Russ

Attachments

• 36593ex_1-med.jpg
    36593ex_1-med.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have an almost brand new banks exhaust system on my truck that will be gone soon when i install the stacks Mel will make with me. I don't use the y pipe since i have a turbo already. If you want i can send you the hole system once i install the new one, we'll make a fear price if you are interested.

Exekiel.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 4" system so all I need is the Y and Y-to turbo. You should be able to sell the rest of the sytem pretty easily. Is it for the older non-waste gated system? I can send you my phone if you want.

DLSF350

Reaction score
Exekiel, interested in the exhaust - any idea what you want for it?

Dan

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Here's one more shot of my y pipe.

Attachments

• 36593installed-med.jpg
    36593installed-med.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 29

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fiverpuller said:

I need to find a new clamp since this one is essentially mangled. I will have to cut this one off since it is pinched on the pipe. I might cut the new one (if I can find one) in half and weld it instead of the pipe. Banks didn't want to give me a free one. :backoff

What size is the pipe? Summit Racing carries 2.25" and 2.5" flanges. In case the link fails, part numbers are WLK-31896 and WLK-31885.

Last edited:

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I poked around a few exhaust shops and finally found a flange in one shops "shed". It looks just like the dynomax. Instead of cutting the pipe I ended up cutting one side of the flange and notching the other...openned it up and slipped it on the pipe. Then closed it up and welded the cuts. I love welding. :love: Worked like a dream...no more leak! ;Sweet Now my wife will ride in the truck again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online