Bad vibrations after u-joints/carrier bearing replacement

chumwon

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 1992 f350 dually and just hauled is first decent load an found some good shake at high speeds. So I decided to replace the 3 u joints an the carrier bearing. Moog u joints an I could only get a cheap carrier bearing. After install an drive it seems no shake up high but heck of a vibration at low speeds an slightly at higher speeds. I've done a fair share of u joints but all on older beaters that were one piece an never worried about realignment of the yokes an apparently that's kind of a big deal I've heard...rook mistake on my part. Didn't know how they're suppose to be now an also wondered if the carrier could be shimmed? This new one has a metal strap on the top of it where bolts go. Also i can grab driveshaft with new carrier an the rubber an driveshaft slightly shakes an moves didn't know if that was normal. Thanks in advance everyone!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you mark your shafts and get them back together in the right orientation? It does mater if they are in the right phase.

chumwon

Reaction score
No I did not.....rook mistake..I've done many old trucks with 1 piece shafts that I convert them to but couldn't do that here with 12ft of driveshaft.... is there a certain orientation there suppose to be? Like yoke ears line all the way up maybe.. Thank ya sir

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to tell you to fix it. Someone here will though.

Don't sweat it. Happens to the best of us.

chumwon

Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying not to let it get to me but my family leaves for vacation this weekend and they're relying on me an the good ole idi to haul the goods up! Gotta love working under the gun.... thanks again!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While it can/will cause vibration, I've never had any issues with that.
Most were on Chevys, so maybe they come balanced better, I don't know. I've just never had any bad vibrations like most speak of.

You can have it balanced at a driveline shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced a u-joint in my 92 F-350 and I had a vibration after I did it. I turned the driveshaft 180 degrees at the rear end and no vibration. You have a 3 joint drive shaft so I am not sure how to start.

chumwon

Reaction score
Alright I just got done tinkering on it during lunch. The carrier looks like it's sitting high an it also had play side to side so I tried to get in centered up an it rode great at high speed just down low vibration. When I get home I'll start twisting shafts an see where that gets me. Thanks again everyone for the advice!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at one of your simple single driveshafts if you have one laying around. You will see the yokes are lined up end to end and welded to the shaft tube. If you have a shaft with splines in your setup, just twist it around on the splines till it also lines up just like your simple single shaft yokes did.

chumwon

Reaction score
Alright well after going through all the procedures an didn't completely go away that I got it up in the air in put it in gear an now can see the driveshaft closest to tranny or the slip yoke at the tranny is bent....:( so does anyone know if other slip yoke from different trannys interchange? Or anyone know of a driveshaft laying around for a 93 extra cab long box!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get it to a driveline shop and get it balanced. if you have a big trip ahead of you this weekend, time to just "get it done".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online