bad PCM?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 98 i just finished doing some work on it and did some wire harness cleanup. so the problem i am having is the trans wont shift on its own. everything worked fine before i did all this work. i have a cs2 in the truck and in any gear it says 1st and if you try to drive it it says its shifting gears but mechanically nothing is happening.

i am getting two codes p1698 and p0606. according to my snapon scanner those basically mean check engine light malfunction and bad PCM/ECM. i can get communication with everything but the body.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I basically had the whole truck/body/trans harness out. I didn't touch the engine harness besides unplugging it from the fuse block. Fuses and relays seem to be good.

I did some more digging with my scanner and it basically listed the p1693 as a dealer specific code. I really don't think I messed up any wires but I haven't ruled it out since I did have it all apart.

I think I can go to a Cummins dealer and get the ECM tested but the truck runs fine so that's why i'm leaning towards the pcm .

And like I mentioned my scanner has an option to read the body but I can't communicate with it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate wiring nothing ever seens to go back to normal but I talked to a buddy of mine last night over a few beers he is a Dodge tech in Bozeman he said a p1693 is a generic for something happened but isn't any more and said what they usually do is clear all The codes and run it againe see if it will come back up if it does your able to read the trouble code not the generic

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i can clear codes and the p1693 will come right back along with the p0606 code. i will add the wait to start light is delayed to come on when the key is turned but its always done this.

ive been reaching a lot and its all pointing to a bad PCM or ECM. i read i can take the ECM to a cummins dealer and they can test it. im just trying to figure it out before i start sending out computers or buying new ones.

i have a local dodge dealer i can take it to to maybe do something with it but i would have to trailer it cause it wont shift due to something electronic.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

i figured it would be good to fix up the wiring while doing the HG and it leaves me with this :frustrate:kick::smash:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the batteries before disconecting the harnesses? I’d double check each of the connections to make sure that’s not your communication issue

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I took the batteries out before I did anything. If I run the truck and watch my tuner display the gear selection will sometimes show or flash neutral even tho it's in park. The truck computer seems to always think it's in 1st.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online