Backup lights

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this post should be in a different place, please feel free to move it.

It's about my truck, and lighting/wiring. I think there are others here that are like it. But if I am wrong, and should have posted it somewhere else... Yeah, well I do that sometimes. LOL Please do feel free to move it. :)

Getting to it... I live way out ion the sticks. No street lights. No area light. Steep driveway.

Half the year it is dangerous backing up my driveway. I need some really bright backup lights.

I don't want to hang anything below the bumper because of snow and/or brush.

I don't want to hang anything off the sides. Brush and branches.

Don't want to put anything on top of the cab. Branches. Shadows would be wrong.

Only place I can see that makes any sense is on top of the bumper, but under the taillights. So the tailgate won't hit them.

I need something really bright, but in a small form. And as low profile as possible. Everything I have found so far would stick too far out on top of the bumper. I'd like something more flat to the body of the truck.

Flood is fine.

Any ideas?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is to use bumper cut-out lights! You'd have to cut the bumper but they look nice if you do it right. I don't have any yet but it's a thought!

LEDs for bright lights in a small form factor.

Edit: Boom baby! Check these out:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123340994295
I think I just sold myself on those bad boys for my trailer...kept forgetting to look.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option is to use bumper cut-out lights! You'd have to cut the bumper but they look nice if you do it right. I don't have any yet but it's a thought!

LEDs for bright lights in a small form factor.

Edit: Boom baby! Check these out:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123340994295
I think I just sold myself on those bad boys for my trailer...kept forgetting to look.
Boom is right!

That is perfect!

Here is what may be a better pair, at amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Qu...Pods+Fog+Lamp&qid=1561091155&s=gateway&sr=8-5

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20170225_094727-jpg.119321

20170225_211412-jpg.119322

$20 on Amazon. They're not SUPER bright but they do the job just fine. Mine are only spliced into the factory reverse lights, plan on eventually adding a manual toggle.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar setup with square LED lights mounted below my bumper and wired into the reverse so they illuminate when I shift into reverse and extinguish when the truck is in any other gear. Works well and then I added LED lights in the housing and that made an additional improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my Harbor Freight special setup on my pickup. Works really well actually with a relay off the factory reverse lights. Its protected from forward damage by the trailer hitch and reverse damage to some degree by being under the bumper.
You must be registered for see images attach

These have a wider beam than those LEDs for sure and do fine in the dark. I need lights on my trailer but these won't really mount on my trailer so I'll go with the bumper cutout style.

Lol that picture makes my rear axle look cut down and tiny. Yay cell phones!

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you, thank you, guys! Great ideas.

Chillman, that is exactly where I was considering putting a small square pod. Aimed more backward than sideways, but yes, some sideways as well, because I do need light off to the sides. I am just concerned about them getting in the way. I was considering, though, cutting into the sheetmetal of the bed there, and recessing them back in as much as possible.

Austin and Josh, those are awesome solutions that I hadn't even considered.

Glad I haven't ordered any lights yet. I DO have a really cheapo led cob, that is thin, that I might try mounting up in the area by the hitch. It just might work, be out of the way, and be protected enough, to do the job I need it to.

I'll probably run some 12ga or 10ga back to a relay for it and put it on a toggle. I don't want to mess with the factory backup wiring. It doesn't work at all on the other truck. Don't want to mess this one up.

I'll let you guys know when I have actually done something about this. Got plenty of other projects ahead of it, but I am really glad I asked. Got some great ideas!

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are what I use, wired through relay with reverse lights as trigger. Plenty bright. 18 watts each.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are what I use, wired through relay with reverse lights as trigger. Plenty bright. 18 watts each.

Had a set of those on my Chevy. They worked GREAT until I managed to back into a snow pile LOL

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some drop in LED replacement bulbs for the stock light assembly; they are about 2x as bright. Like $10 on Ebay, and have survived a year+. I need to look into more.

kla94

Reaction score
I bought a set of led bulbs that go in the stock sockets and are really bright. They cost 20$, around two years ago. I had before and after picks, but lost all of my pics from my phone. I have pretty dark tint and they made a big difference in visibility.