Axle questions

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I was driving home today from work and kept hearing a popping noise from the passenger side. I looked up at axle and the bracket for the passenger side broke the one stud broke off and one is bent. So my question what kind of price range am I in for a straight axle? What are all the parts I need for the swap? My plan was to keep the twin peice of s@@t beam but I want it gone.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Start searching Craigslist. I've seen pricing all over the place, and sometimes great deals. With winter coming in, it always seems people need money, and sell cheaper than normal.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start searching Craigslist. I've seen pricing all over the place, and sometimes great deals. With winter coming in, it always seems people need money, and sell cheaper than normal.

What all would I need to complete the swap? Would a gas straight axle work?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you're good at welderin

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I am some what not a professional but I think the truck is getting sold tomorrow. Sad to see it go it's my dream truck but do to me paying 12 grand total to get this truck where it's at then the front end to go up. Would love to keep it but don't have the time right now to put a straight axle in.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am some what not a professional but I think the truck is getting sold tomorrow. Sad to see it go it's my dream truck but do to me paying 12 grand total to get this truck where it's at then the front end to go up. Would love to keep it but don't have the time right now to put a straight axle in.
Man I gotta shoot straight with you... IMHO I think selling it would be a mistake. These trucks are getting harder and harder to come by and you've invested so much already. Even if it just sits for awhile until you have a weekend or two to throw a straighty under there, I think it would be worth keeping. These trucks (or any old vehicle for that matter) require time and money occasionally... BUT, when you get past the rough patches and things somewhat start getting squared away, you've got a BA truck that you know every nook and cranny of and you know exactly the life of the parts. Not to mention when these trucks are happy, they just keep going, and going, and going, etc...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant. I just really think you would regret it soon as you sold it. My truck is my dream truck too, and recently I was in a front end collision that almost totalled her and I was DEVASTATED!

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant. I just really think you would regret it soon as you sold it. My truck is my dream truck too, and recently I was in a front end collision that almost totalled her and I was DEVASTATED!

Oh no your good. I understand it took me almost two years to find this one that is as clean and as nice. I might keep hearing your opinion and just wait til I have time to swap out my axle.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The D50 took the truck down the road for the past 27 years.$200 for another one and a Saturday afternoon and she's good for another 27.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D50 took the truck down the road for the past 27 years.$200 for another one and a Saturday afternoon and she's good for another 27.

i could but I don't know how to replace that bracket without pulling the motor out. I checked around earlier and no one has the bracket that I'm looking for they have the front bracket for it but not the rear.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just fix the bracket and call it good. TTB parts are easy to come by and cheap.
Do the solid swap later, get it running again now.

How would you replace the studs? What kind of studs would you need? Feels almost like a bolt head from the top under the oil pan?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably just cut the bent bits off, leave enough to align it... then weld the bracket in place. I'd probably weld any side I could get to with the welder - overkill is good.

Also a picture of ypur situation would be nice.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably just cut the bent bits off, leave enough to align it... then weld the bracket in place. I'd probably weld any side I could get to with the welder - overkill is good.

Also a picture of ypur situation would be nice.

I'll take a picture tomorrow in the day light I'm suppose to be off at 12.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this picture on the internet that is the bracket that all messed up. It should be the left front.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online