Autopsy of a 7.3 Turbo IDI

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,I tore into Peppermints old engines today(the 3 day chernobyle and the water drinking replacement V1.0).Things were NOT pretty in teh original turbo spec engine.There was NO broken rods!By the looks of it the engine spent alot of time way over the safe RPM range.....Found the #5 main bearing squished out the side,Scored real bad,and pitted.Also found one of the rods up front with some real pretty rainbow coloration of the metal.....and the part your have been waiting on.The Thrown rods......well,the rods didn't even crack.The start of the failure was a wrist pin pulled though the piston.while bouncing around the cap bolts broke on both rods really wrecking havoc on teh crank and bottom of the block......not to mention the rods.Here are the pictures(I hope).

Attachments

• blown 001.jpg
    blown 001.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 40
  • blown 002.jpg
    blown 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 31
  • blown 003.jpg
    blown 003.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 28
  • blown 004.jpg
    blown 004.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oh heck I bent a rod better than that... I no longer have said rod because I tossed it out a while back but those at the 03 IDI weekend seen it... I have faith that you can do better... so get crack'n

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UGLY! Tanya or BJ need to remind us of the history on that truck!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Hell just clamp that puppie in a vice and get the hammer. Two or three hits and it would be good as new. :Sly

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
;Sweet :D ,seen some worse than that,not many.
i need to pull the pan of the 7.3 that came out of the 89 to see what the silicone like sludge did to the engine