Autometer diesel tach

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the autometer tach that uses the alternator as its pick up? My 83 doesn’t have a factory tach and I have a gauge fetish or something lol.

Here’s a link https://www.autometer.com/2-5-8-tach-5-000-rpm-diesel-4437.html

If enough people are interested and no one has experience with them I might try one out just to be the guinea pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Cant say that I've seen anyone run one here. But they are popular in the gm 6.2/6.5 world.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Genscripter is running an alternator pickup tach on his e250, but I don’t know which specific one. I was looking at adding one for my e250 eventually.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just worried about accuracy with the alternator pulley being smaller than the crank.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just worried about accuracy with the alternator pulley being smaller than the crank.

I know you usually have to do some kind of calibration with it. I haven’t looked into them very much since adding one is fairly far down on my list of things to do to my van.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their video shows you matching up the tach with engine speed at idle. Would it still be accurate at 3500?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be close. They count the field pulses at idle from the alternator. With that data point they can extrapolate out the rest of the rpm range. It's accurate as long as the alternator is working and the belt isn't slipping. This kind of alternator tach has been used for a while. Old ones used a stator tap on the alternator but this design includes it's own sensor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its pretty accurate, cat uses this kind of tach on the old 3116s. If you have a timing meter you can use that to calibrate the idle rpm and make sure its accurate throughout the rpm range.

gfemling

Reaction score
I got fed up w the factory tac in my 87 and several years ago installed one of the Autometer that uses sensor clamped to the alternator case and has been accurate- as far as I can perceive- and reliable. Do recall that needed to adjust/calibrate on installation. Over all I am happy with it.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty accurate, cat uses this kind of tach on the old 3116s. If you have a timing meter you can use that to calibrate the idle rpm and make sure its accurate throughout the rpm range.

That’s what I planned on doing, just didn’t want to waste my time if a few people had bad luck with them

I got fed up w the factory tac in my 87 and several years ago installed one of the Autometer that uses sensor clamped to the alternator case and has been accurate- as far as I can perceive- and reliable. Do recall that needed to adjust/calibrate on installation. Over all I am happy with it.
This is what I wanted to hear, thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Members online