Automatic to manual swap

bass guy

Reaction score
I have an 87 6.9l w/ a C6 (from an E350). I want to put it in an 87 F350 but the F350 has the T19 manual. I have a new truck oil cooler and truck exhaust manifolds for the van engine swap, what I need to know is will the manual bellhousing just bolt right to the block or is there something I need to remove or add (adapter?) to make the swap.

bass guy

Reaction score
Well, I can't figure out how to edit this post, it seems to only allow editing the title, so I'll add on by replying to myself! I have both blocks (the manual AND the auto, I need the van motor in the truck and it has a brand new, rebuilt T19 from Southern Gear in Atl, along with a brand new Luk clutch, the C6 is toast (rebuilding it later this Spring, I also realized I forgot to mention I know I need the manual flywheel (which I have). Sorry for not knowing how to run this forum stuff, I'm just not on the web/computer/phone enough to be a **** like these youngsters!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The T19 will bolt onto either engine IF you keep the adapter plate on there. It's about 1"-1 1/2" thick and it's cast iron (I think). That is what lets the transmissions bolt to the engines.
As for the editing, in each one of your posts, there is the edit option. It's toward the lower, left hand corner. Just click on the "edit" word and it will let you edit your post. After you're done, click on "save" at the bottom.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be a spacer between the flexplate and crank that has to be removed if going from auto to manual also. I'm not sure if this is true on the c6 like it is on the later e4od but maybe someone else can clarify.

bass guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input y'all! @aggiediese01, I have had the C6 out before and never noticed a spacer, I'll be looking for that, though. Fortunately I have both engines and all their parts so after 10-12 years of this -addiction, I mean hobby I am comfortable monkeying around! @IDIBRONCO: Do I understand you correctly? The T19 bellhousing will mount on the block with the C6 spacer or will I need to remove the spacer from the manual block and install it on the auto block? Or are both spacers the same, allowing either trans to bolt up to any 6.9 block? Once I get out in the shop and commence the Dr. Frankenstien wrenching, I'm sure it'll all come together, just wanted to know if I was going to have to engage in any shenannagans! Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Both spacers are the same although they're adapter plates instead of just spacers. They allow a transmission to be bolted onto an engine with a different bolt pattern. They allow any combination of IDI engine and IDI transmission to be bolted together. There is no crank spacer with a C6. It's only used with the E4OD.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both spacers are the same although they're adapter plates instead of just spacers. They allow a transmission to be bolted onto an engine with a different bolt pattern. They allow any combination of IDI engine and IDI transmission to be bolted together. There is no crank spacer with a C6. It's only used with the E4OD.
The famous diesel adapter plates invented by Ford. They adapt the international bellhousing pattern to another oddball diesel only pattern they came up with. Never will figure that one out. If there is a Ford engineer out there, I would love to know why they did not adapt over to a common big block Ford pattern?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It wouldn't do any good today. I've always suspected that engineers sit around in a circle enjoying illicit chemicals and that's how they come up with their ideas. If you could find one of those engineers still around, I'll bet that he/she wouldn't have enough brain cells left to wipe their own back side these days.:joker:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't do any good today. I've always suspected that engineers sit around in a circle enjoying illicit chemicals and that's how they come up with their ideas. If you could find one of those engineers still around, I'll bet that he/she wouldn't have enough brain cells left to wipe their own back side these days.:joker:
I have been around a few at the different places I have worked. 99% of the time it's not the engineers, it's the bean counters that tell the engineers what to do.