automatic headlights

blumax

Reaction score
hi, all.
you know how some vehicals have automatic headlights? well, my 01 gmc has them and while it is a nice feature, when i drive in the early evening they turn themselves on and off everytime i pass under a tree, annoying. yeah, i know, just turn them on, right? well what i would like to know is if there is a way to bypass this automatic headlight biz, i feel that i am smart enough to know when it is time to turn the lights on. any and all input is greatly appreciated. thanks all and long live the d-max.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Find the DRL relay and pull it.

Saw a thread somewhere else about it.

Last edited:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
This is a VERY annoyng feature. I too feel I'm smart enough to know when the lights need to be on. Even more annoying is auto locking doors. I've about ripped the handle off before trying to get out. Mine is an '06 and I read somewhere that the DRL's on the later models are controlled by the computer. No way to bypass them without some re-programming. Pulling the DRL causes some other problems I thought(newer models). I'll have to research that. 'Course my wife relies on the automatic lights. Personally I hate 'em. Did I mention that?....

Tom

blumax

Reaction score
well, i tried the DRL relay, but the only thing that happened was the DRL's didn't work, not really what i am after. there must be a way to trick the sensor into thinking its always daytime. one of these days i'll find a way to disconnect it and see what happens. or maybe just tape a flashlight to the dash with the light shining on it all the time??

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know when i worked at the drive in movies we would get in turn the trucks off, take out the key, engage the ebrake, then turn it back on and they would stay off

blumax

Reaction score
hey, the riddle is solved. meerlie required a little reading. all you need to do is push the dome light overide button 4 times and you have full manual control until the next time you turn off the key.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online