Auto to manual hubs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BrianX128, Mar 12, 2018.

1. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

On my grandpa's 90 f150 I'm officially done with the old auto hubs. They go into 4 wheel drive fine but they won't come out. Today I was almost late to work because I used 4 wheel drive to get out of the driveway and 1 hub stuck in lock but one came un done and it made an awful grinding noise trying to move.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mo...-From-Auto-to-Warn-Premium/productinfo/32126/

I assume this is my fix but.. what exactly are the correct steps if anyone has done this before. I've read a few things online and lots of it seem to have conflicting info.

My hubs have 5 bolts not 3 which seems to mean something as well.

2. Double-S-Diesel

Double-S-Diesel parts seller

usually with the 5 bolt hube the double nut/ washer is there already. and all you need is the hubs.
    other wise if you have the rounded hex nut holding the wheel bearings you need rermove them and install the double nut/ washer

at least this is the info I can recall on them

3. BrianX128

See that's what I thought but I've found several videos of people going in further and removing more crap.

I found this awful video with awful music of what I think the procedure will be for my truck..

But he removes 1 thing after the hub itself and I can't tell what it is.

4. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

i pulled apart a D44hd on a 86 f250 and this was what was inside. and yes, it was a drop-in conversion :D

P1050405.JPG

5. BrianX128

I think I got it. The c clip behind the auto hub was the most annoying thing to remove. Broke 3 picks trying to pry under it before I shoved at it with two screw drivers opposite ends and got it to move away just enough to wedge a knife in the middle and pry it that way.

New hubs are in, they barely and I mean barely had enough room to get the snap ring on the axle shaft. Which I think means I did this right?

Either way if i got the snap ring on and the giant circular retainer ring on I'm safe for a test drive right? Wheels aren't gonna fly off or anything haha.. the retaining bolts that take the special 4 prong tool got to remain in there just like they were and that's what holds my wheel bearings and whatnot on I believe ..

6. DaveBen

DaveBen Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, Your wheels will not come off. The hub does not keep wheels on the truck.

7. BrianX128

Well it appears I've succeeded. 4 wheel drive works great and disengaged fine as well. 2 wheel drive low range works also with hubs unlocked.

8. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on getting your 4x4 working properly n hubs.

Note to self get a 4x4 idi

chillman88 likes this.