auto locking hubs in a 1984 f250 ???

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of my SDs' hubs work in the 'Auto' position. Neither do the 2014s at work lol
They suck, no way around it. Manuals all the way.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How/ what manual hubs fit those unit bearing hubs? our autos worked fine, just couldn't pull them out to disassemble knuckle to do ball joints! assume manuals have same spline and retaining ring setup? we first broke housing trying to remove it then had to put a couple self tappers through it to keep cog engaged in 4wd worked fine last couple plows ( its a plow truck only) hoping the auto hub would fall out( left retaining ring out) so we wouldnt have to destroy unit bearing. very poor design if not maintained.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How/ what manual hubs fit those unit bearing hubs? our autos worked fine, just couldn't pull them out to disassemble knuckle to do ball joints! assume manuals have same spline and retaining ring setup? we first broke housing trying to remove it then had to put a couple self tappers through it to keep cog engaged in 4wd worked fine last couple plows ( its a plow truck only) hoping the auto hub would fall out( left retaining ring out) so we wouldnt have to destroy unit bearing. very poor design if not maintained.

I know the aftermarket makes them, like Warn....

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-38826-Premium-Manual-Hubs/dp/B000182F22

Mine have always worked fine, but it’s a pavement queen, and my lockout needs replaced due to a failed vacuum seal and hub bearings. It beat the inside of the lockout, to the point, when I pulled the lockout to do the rebuild, the guts of the lockout fell out......

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the hub splines clean and lubed, these were seized in unit bearing, had to cut off as posted earlier, here's the pics of the carnage
You must be registered for see images attach

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
warn and mile marker make some after market ones I have mile markers in my 03
stock ford ones from the older dana 60s and 50s will also fit

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim (the Warden) bought a set of MM hubs for his KP D60. I have no idea where the next weak point in the drive train is, but I'm quite sure it won't be the hubs.