ATS turbo help

bmifarmer

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen...New to the forum but I have been lurking in the shadows for awhile. I have a 1898 f250 7.3 IDI 4x4 auto trans. I believe it a a A40D. I recently bought a 1988 F250, 7.3l 5spd 4x4 with a ATS turbo on it. I basically bought the truck for the turbo to install on my 1989. I have been doing a little research and it appears that I will need to replace the transmission dipstick tube during the swap. I looked on the ATS site and I was not able to find one to order. It also appears that they have become unreliable to get parts from. Does anyone know where I could get a dipstick tube. Are there are any other hurdles that I may run into switching the turbo from a 5spd truck to a automatic truck. Thanks in advance for any info.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think you don't have to change the dipstick or its mount. I'm putting an ATS kit on my 87 6.9 and instead of replacing the passenger side valve cover with the turbo valve cover that the glow plug controller mounts to I will just move my glow plug controller to behind the passenger side battery. You'll need to extend the driver side glow plug wiring. Keep the wires away from the heat of the turbo.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I think you don't have to change the dipstick or its mount. I'm putting an ATS kit on my 87 6.9 and instead of replacing the passenger side valve cover with the turbo valve cover that the glow plug controller mounts to I will just move my glow plug controller to behind the passenger side battery. You'll need to extend the driver side glow plug wiring. Keep the wires away from the heat of the turbo.
Wrong. E4od dipstick definitely needs to be relocated or replaced with the factory turbo dipstick.