Atf in oil flush

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long and how much should I run in my oil before my oil change? I'm due soon and want to do a flush of the system. Have had a tick for a long time I think maybe a sticky lifter possibly and if it can't hurt my motor to do this I don't see why not?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't tried this, but maybe add a quart? As long as you don't overfill the engine oil, you should be good to run it for several hundred miles if you want to. Maybe someone will chime in and correct me. I guess we'll both see.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a weeks probably not going to hurt anything? Maybe 100 miles or so but I figure just having it sit around throughout the system should eat away some of the crud if there is any valve covers looked no so bad under but who knows about inside the valley area where lifters live and bottom of oil pan etc.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And sticky valves. My yj has a new engine in it, but the brainless PO that I bought it from didn’t change the oil since he replaced engine......which was 4 years ago and 6k miles. Needless to say, it took a couple flushes for oil to not dirty up right away.
And the engine always ran rough when cold. After many months and replacing every damn sensor trying to figure this $h!t out, I came to the conclusion that it was a sticky intake valve not fully closing when cold. It would also pop out the intake which was another indicator. So I dumped a quart of mmo in fresh oil and after about 20 minutes, it runs like a new engine should. No more rough idle when cold. I’m sold on the stuff as dumb as it may sound lol.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put 1 qt atf in earlier would it hurt dumping a quart more Marvel? I was at the add line earlier just about and added 1 qt atf so technically I have room for one more qt of something in there lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its in now, almost seems to tick more then go away when warm. Someone once told me that would be a sign of a little exhaust manifold leak, since when warm the manifold expands to seal then cools down to leak.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about oil viscosity... 2 qts of -10weight oil could be thinning it out enough to raise the volume of tick...

Reco's???
None from me
But here are some Ive heard
Mmo,diesel,atf,diesel rx and on and on

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only running 1 qt of atf for the next week to see if it does anythjng. I now think the tick is possibly a exhaust manifold leak? Comes and goes with heat it seems so maybe it's my manifold expanding to seel the leak, cools off and leak comes back? maybe even a cracked manifold? I've been seeing shrinking boost numbers lately so something is happening.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had an intermittent “tick”, more or less the sound of a hammer hitting the block. Thought I had injector knock for sure. Cracking injector lines had no effect though. A few of the symptoms led me to attack the problem as a possible collapsed/stuck lifter next. Pulled the valve covers to find one rocker had A LOT of lash, like a good 1/8”. Pulled the rockers, good. Pushrods, all good. Oil looked fine and not shimmery, cam should be good. Definitely a stuck lifter. It had no spring to it when pushing against it. Using a dropper bottle and the pushrod on that lifter as a long funnel, I doused the lifter with a concoction that’ll penetrate and break just about anything free 100x better than any penetrating lubricant (and a fraction of the cost) and slapped it back together, added 1 quart of atf and 1 quart of mmo to the oil, and drove it as normal. Immediately the knock became less apparent and within 100 miles or so it was gone and has been since. I’m certainly sold on MMO, and the atf flush trick I have used on every vehicle I’ve owned to wash away the previous owners maintenance sins.
The concoction I speak of is simply 50/50 diesel fuel and ATF. No secret, and I believe it was on this forum I learned of it. Only thing I do differently is I heat it up to the point you’ll be sorry if you aren’t wearing gloves and get it on your hands. Works wonders on U-joints!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMO is good stuff. It’s a very powerful detergent oil, unlike atf which doesn’t have any detergents in it. Glad your problem went away.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try mmo with this tomorrow and change it in a couple days tick has had not much effect yet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online